Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Ambrose

Patrick H

Bumping this one up again in the hope of some answers!! Can anyone help?

Fred Ambrose of Abridge Essex served in the War but no information about him except he survived. His nephew William Ambrose of Abridge would love to know what happened to his family.

Known facts:

Following the War Fred remained in France and married a local girl. He is believed to have lived in Bray-sur-Somme and worked for the CWGC tending the graves. Due to poverty? he never returned to Uk until about 1934. He then went back to France and it is believed he may have lived at St Quentin and he had 4 maybe 5 daughters. He and his wife are now dead and all contact was lost with his family.

Does anyone have any idea how one might go about locating the families (presumably married with french names? ) Would the CWGC keep records of their employees, did they pay pensions to their surviving spouses etc etc

Having received lots of help from Bill and his 104 year old mother about my own Greygoose family I owe them a favour and it would be wonderful if we could re unite them with their lost family.

Would really like some answers plz

Patrick H

CWGC obviously do keep records of their employees but I am not sure that pre-war records would still exist. Even if they do, I suspect they could not be released as they will be regarded as confidential.

Also, I doubt that they would have any info relating to someone after they had left their employ except possibly any pension records.

ok and thanks. Looks like i'm not going to get anywhere with this enquiry

Patrick

Patrick

Not a great expert on French civil records, but I understand they are more detailed than British ones. If you know where Fred Ambrose originally settled, you should be able to trace his marriage records, I know that each "family" have a book given to them, recording the dates of the parent's marriage, & details of all children, & these books are presented before any child can marry. However, i do not know where they would hold records or copies, apart from the local prefecture.

Maybe the French Embassy will be able to help? Also, have you looked for this man's MIC? It could show an address in France on the rear.

Good Luck

Mark

Thanks Mark, perhaps I wont give up just yet !!

Patrick