Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge Para 3 92)xv (a) u) K

Guest Yaml

Hi Everyone,

I have an MIC for my Gt Grandfather, Joseph Robert Brown, a Sgt of Hants R, Reg No. 06802.

First question; Is the Reg No his number or the Regiment number?

Second question; Is there any way I can find out what the Cause of Discharge means? It says, as displayed

Para 3 92) xv

(a) u) K

S

The S is very large and probably written later.

Third question (getting my moneys worth ;-)) ; Can I find out what the Action Taken means? It says List C/1531/1. I guess that means there is a list somewhere that will tell me more. Is there a good chance that anyone visiting Kew(?) will be able to view this and tell me what it says? I'm in Australia so I will have to find someone who can look for me, but that's another issue.

Very many thanks for getting this far.

All the best,

Yaml

Hi Yaml

Just seen your request so (firstly) welcome to the forum and, although not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, let's see if we can answer your questions.

Is the Reg No his number or the Regiment number?

The number is his service number and would be unique to him within the Hampshire Regiment.

Is there any way I can find out what the Cause of Discharge means? It says as displayed, Para 392) xv(a) u) K

According to the sister site and I quote "Men who left the army did so under King's Regulation 392. But there were many reasons for a soldier to be discharged, and the Regulation 392 had many causes categorised."

XV(a) was: Free under Article 1130 (i), Pay Warrant.

I've absolutely no idea what that means but I'm sure someone else can help here!

Can I find out what the Action Taken means? It says List C/1531/1.

The list in question would be the SWB (Silver War Badge) Roll, under that reference (C/1531/1) and would need to be looked up at the NA in Kew. The detail you will get from the Roll will include, at the very least, the number of the badge, the official reason and date of his discharge and possibly his date of enlistment.

Having written that, I was under the impression that SWB's were only awarded for troops invalided out of the army through wounds, sickness or other medical downgrading (KR 392 xvi - No longer physically fit for service) and your MIC shows KR392 xva, I may be completely wrong but is there an "i" lurking after the v which you might have missed?

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you ***so*** much for your help. I had asked around in other places without any joy as to what this card meant, and now I know heaps. I'm so pleased that the number is unique to Joseph, not the whole regiment, at least that feels special, having that knowledge now.

I think there *is* an I under the xv now you mention it. I'd read it as a K but it could well be an I with an accidental mark next to it leading me astray.

I have a picture of Joseph standing with some other men on the steps outside a hospital and they all have various parts of their bodies bandaged etc, so a medical discharge makes perfect sense. I did not realise the 2 items were connected.

The other reason he could have been discharged is because one of his young sons (2 years old) went missing for 2 weeks and was then found drowned in the local river. You can imagine what that would have done to the whole family, including Joseph's mental health. As if war wasn't enough in the first place.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Terrible habit.

Thank you so much again for your kindness,

May - AKA Yaml

It probably will be xvi and the large S will mean that he was discharged due to sickness.

Steve

I was under the impression that SWB's were only awarded for troops invalided out of the army through wounds, sickness or other medical downgrading

Steve

I have swb's issued for Completion of Service/Time Expired.

Steve

I was under the impression that SWB's were only awarded for troops invalided out of the army through wounds, sickness or other medical downgrading

Steve

I have swb's issued for Completion of Service/Time Expired.

Steve

The rules were changed later in the war to include more types of discharge, but the SWB was issued to those discharged on age grounds (under or over), and to those released for war work at home, amongst other reasons.

Ken

The rules were changed later in the war to include more types of discharge, but the SWB was issued to those discharged on age grounds (under or over), and to those released for war work at home, amongst other reasons.

Hi Ken

I was not aware that the SWB was issued to those who had been discharged as "under-age" (presumably under KR (1912) Para. 392 [VIII] ??). Perhaps you could clarify this?

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the actual "mechanism" for releasing men from the Service to partake in vital war work at home? On what grounds did they qualify for a SWB?

Best wishes

Ed

Hi Ed, Ken and Steve,

Thank you very much for your interest in my queries, I'm still following along as you discuss it.

All the very best,

May - AKA Yaml

May

Is there any chance you can post a picture of the MIC so that we can possibly give you a more definitive answer?

Steve

It probably will be xvi and the large S will mean that he was discharged due to sickness.

I may be completely wrong but is there an "i" lurking after the v which you might have missed?

Steve and SteveE - Spot on! Your suspicions are correct.

Yaml - Based on his Silver War Badge entry Sgt 06802 Joseph Robert Brown enlisted 24/12/1914 and was discharged 02/09/1919 as a result of sickness under KR Para 392 (xvi) no longer physically fit for war service, age 34 years. His SWB number was B296589.

Marc