Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on MIC

whitehorse

I'm looking at my Grandfather's MIC as I type this and after where the name of the Regiment with which he served is entered in free hand, is what appears to be a cross, an 'x', with dots between three of the arms. Can any of you MIC experts advise me what this means? I have looked at the guide to MICs under The Long Long Trail, but am still clueless.

There should be another of the same symbol next to one of the medals. It means that the medal entitlement was gained while serving with that particular unit.

Steve.

Thanks for that info Steve, the markings are next to/underneath the Victory Medal line on the MIC. How would the entitlement to a wound stripe be recorded?

Wound stripes are not recorded on MICs. I don't think there is such an index for those.

They would however be recorded on his Service Record, if it survives. Only 30% of them are left after fire damage in the Blitz. Those that remain are at the National Archives at Kew.

The only record of wounds on an MIC is if the soldier was entitled to a Silver War Badge, which has given to those actually discharged from the army due to wounds, illness, incapacity, etc.

These are often on a different type card with the service medals entitlement on a stamped area. Sometimes there were two cards.

Steve.

Thanks again Steve. I have what remains of his service record, from the PRO, which confirms that he was wounded. He attended a med board in 1919 but as the wound was not in any way disabling, he received no medical pension. He received a piece of shrapnel in the head from a bomb dropped by a German aircraft when he was at an R & R centre in Dunkirk. He was evacuated to England and in due course returned to duty. I have a studio photo, taken in 1918 or 19, but his lower sleeve is out of focus - but I think there is something there.

Various stripes on sleeves:

Overseas stripe - small Chevron on right sleeve

Long Service Good-Conduct stripe - point up Chevron on left sleeve

Wound Stripe - small vertical stripe on lower left sleeve

Steve.