Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How Long?

Roy Evans

I have just wangled tomorrow off work to go to the local archives in the last hope of finding details of one of my men, Alfred Hughes. I have four candidates for this guy or it may be another man altogether, I'm hoping to tie an address down to the locality of the memorial on which he is recorded.

I will be looking for newspaper reports of his death but don't know how much later to look. Plaese advise!

Roy

Roy

I have used our local archives to view the local newspaper for reports on men KIA. I found that the time span could be anything upto a month after the event.

Regards Doug.

Hello

Could be more than that though esp during "busy" periods

I have medals to a man who went missing, he was recorded as missing but never mentioned again. Cant imagine the family wanted to stop hoping hed return

Ian

Hello

I have a couple of casualties from wolverhampton - any chance of a look up next time you go?

Can return the favout next time I go the NA

Ian

It depends on the casualty status, Roy. If for example(as with my Great Grandfather they were listed as Missing and Wounded, it could be anything up to 18 months( in his case just over a year).

His final status was KIA 1st July 1916- but obviously in the confusion of the Somme offensive, he was posted missing and wounded (source Border Regiment database) this appeared in the local paper after just over a month, listed as Missing. and his family were not notified officiallly of his death for a year when they placed his obituary in the local paper themselves(see my signature)

Hope you can make sense of all that

Hi

My Gt Grandfather was KIA during the German Spring Offensive.

27th March 1918.

Letter written by his platoon commander to his NOK 3rd April 1918

A death notice appeared in a Bradford paper 27th April 1918

I don't know the timing of events in between - such as his wife finding out, or how much notice was needed for the paper - or who put it there.

Hope this helps

regards

doogal

In general two weeks. Sometimes within a week. In cases of 'missing' I'm getting 1st July men well into 1917.

But in most cases you can be pretty sure of getting them within a month.

Des

Thanks to everyone who replied, I have two hours booked, which I hope will be enough. A least I have some idea of timescales now.

Hello

I have a couple of casualties from wolverhampton - any chance of a look up next time you go?

Can return the favour next time I go the NA

Ian

Ian,

Let me have their details off-forum, I'll see how time goes.

Roy

Thanks

A Walters 20.6.16 killed

AJS Miles 25.1.15 killed

both Cold Gds

Cheers Ian

Roy,

Have to agree on the two weeks to a month judging from local archives depending on his status of course.

Andy

Roy,

Have to agree on the two weeks to a month judging from local archives depending on his status of course.

Andy

All of the candidates were Privates,..... nuff said?

Roy

Roy

I agree about the month for definate KIAs, but the "missings - later presumed to be dead" I've found upto 15 months after.

John

Roy

Hope Im not telling you how to suck eggs. Just done that for my man took hours approx 1 hour a month if I didnt get side tracked V. intresting!

Weeklys are quicker and have the photos, ask if they have a book of rolls of honour and shrines someone in Hull had already done it, I found out later?

Charles

John, Joseph,

Thanks for the input, even if it has cooled my optimism somewhat!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Roy

Dosn't 2 hours go quickly! I have not got anything positive on my candidates (yet) but have got something on one of Ian's:

Entry in the Wolverhampton 'Express and Star' Monday Feb. 15th (Page 4) reads (no picture)

"FALLINGS PARK SOLDIER MISSING

News has been received that Lance-corporal A.J. Miles, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, whose home is at Victoria Road, Fallings Park, near Wolverhampton, has been reported missing since January 25th. His relatives are notified that he may be a prisoner in Germany. Miles was formerly a choirister at Holy Trinity Church, Heath Town."

I will try to get an entry for Walters on my next visit (which may be a while yet) PM me your address if you want a print of the article.

Roy

Roy and Doug

Thanks very much for the info

Roy, sorry you didnt find your ones - its sods law

Cheers Ian