Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wouldham Works

Boreenatra

Sorry in advance if reproduction isn't great, but do any of the Essex brigade have any info on the POW camp in the quarry at the Wouldham Works which I think was at Sth Stifford or W. Thurrock. Regards Steve.

Steve

No direct info on the camp. However I believe that this was at Peters Pit Quarry & Works situated to the east of Wouldham Village.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Wouldham is in Kent, between Maidstone and Rochester, on River Medway. Do not know about the camp, but these or nearby quarries were used in training by the Marines from Chatham (not far away) for the Zeebrugge raid in 1918.

Ian

Ian. Thanks for the reply. The pic came from a Victoria County History (VCH) for Grays( I think) as it came from an Essex library it would likely be in Essex.Will check in Gazetteer. Regards Steve.

Steve,

If it is indeed Peter's Pit (See Dave's reply) then can also tell you that Mr Peter, the works owner, donated the land for the Burham War Memorial, in the village of that name, next to Wouldham.

Ian

Steve

Just been trying to look at map to see if the name of the workst still appears around Thurrock. Guess maybe today where (or in the area of) Lakeside?

Anyway, if it is Essex, as indeed the later picture implies, then I shall go back to sleep!

Ian