Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thurrock (Grays) New Cemetery

Patrick H

Lieutenant Albert Spencer Bragg 10th Battn Essex Regt died aged 29 on 28.3.1919 remembered at the above cemetery. Assuming he died of wounds at home I am interested to know why he is buried in Thurrock, Essex. His family home was Ruthin, Denbighshire. Does anyone know much about this cememtery?

Patrick

Patrick. I have the same query on my man who we are researching in Ireland.The only info that we have is that the NOK of soldiers who died " at home" were given the option of being buried were they were stationed or their bodies could be returned to their families at their own expense. Perhaps many families just could not afford this. I have asked before, and looked at the NA to see if a letter was sent ( there must have been some correspondence in these situations ) but none in our case had survived. It poses more questions than it answers. Regards Steve.

ok thanks Steve, maybe someone local to Thurrock may have an answer

Patrick

Same here... got burial at St.Giles near Billericay of a man in the Loyal North Lancs regt, believe he was killed when on duty on the railway, so seems he was buried where he fell even when at home

John

Odd. He is not listed in Officers Died Essex Regt or The Cross of Sacrifice Officers Died Vol 1.

Patrick

This situation is not at all unusual and the main reason is as given above.

The nok of men who died in the UK could choose the place of burial but had to pay for the transport of the body etc. Many could not afford this or did not want the body returned home for some reason - or there were no traceable nok.

In these cases the men were buried in the nearest military or civilian cemetery - often near the hospital in which they died. If you know a man died of wounds and is far from home, then it is likely that he died in a local hospital.

Terry,

understood but its odd hes not mentioned in the Officers died or Essex Officers died

Patrick

Odd, but not that unusual, Patrick. "Soldiers Died...." is well-known for not being too reliable when it comes to recording 1919 casualties.

Tom

Tom

i agree but thought they took more care with the Officers !!

Patrick