Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Former German cemeteries

roel22

Does anybody know the locations of German cemeteries around Kemmel (Ypres region) shortly after the war? According to his death-certificate my great-grandfather was buried there in 1918 'between Hill 44 and Kleine Vierstraat'...

Thanks in advance

Roel

Hello Roel,

Could you give me all available information? I think you may have contacted me before but I didn't have much time then to search thoroughly... I may come up with something now (although you can never be sure).

Regards,

Jan

He was killed may 14th 1918 attacking trenches at Hill 44. His family never received any official information about where he was buried. The only information came from a friend of my great-grandfather, many years later. He was involved in the same attack, recovered his body from no mans land a few days after the attack, and had him buried in a mass-grave.

In the archive of my great-grandfathers hometown I found his death-certificate, which stated that he was buried 'between hill 44 and kleine vierstraat'. That's all the information I have.

I'm looking for old maps -or anything else- which show the location of burial-sites in this area. But so far without any result...

regards

Roel

Aurel Sercu is also researching former cemetery sites around Ypres.

Yes, I have been compiling a list of all moved (disappeared) military cemeteries in the Salient for the past weeks. And if it had not been for always good-humoured Jacky Platteeuw who suffuses me with his never-ending enthusiasm (which in fact means that he largely motivates me by provokingly teasing me with his grin when I am gazing at trench maps through my magnifying glass) ...

For this is a tremendous task, many times larger than I had expected !

So far more than 400 moved cemeteries in the (large) Ypres area (165 British, more than 200 German, 2 dozen French and a handful of Belgian). And there will be many more to come. (By the way, thanks, Terry for the push you gave me at the start, and Jan V., who has already done a lot of work for the German cemeteries in Groot-Zonnebeke.)

However so far I have only focussed on the northern and northeastern part of the Salient, and I will be moving down farther southeast and south soon. But I'll try to have a look at the Kemmel area next Wednesday (trench maps in Doc. Centre Ypres)

Aurel

I'm very much looking forward to your post!

thanks in advance

Roel