Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Definitions of Abbreviations

Andrew Hesketh

I can't see these on the on-site list. Could anyone offer a translation? The context is that the acronyms appear next to a list of names. All the others are regiments, so pehaps these are too.

M.M.G.S (Motor Machine Gun XXX?)

S.B.S R.N (something, something Royal Navy?)

S.B.R ( I feel that I should know this one)

R.N.D S.B (RND is presumably Royal Naval Division)

Thanks,

Andrew

M.M.G.S Motor Machine Gun Service

S.B.S R.N Sick Berth Steward Royal Navy

Regarding the others I think may all be Sick Berth

Stuart

I was just coming back to edit out MMGS having suddenly realised it was obvious! However, I would never have got the Sick Berth bit, so that's great Stuart.

However I'm not so sure the SB necessarily translates to the others. RND Sick Berth? SBR? Any more offers?

Another abbreviation for SB is Siege Battery, as in SBAC - Siege Battery Ammunition Column.

SBR = Sick Berth Reserve (RNR Sick Berth Steward).

John Milner

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Did the RND have its own Artillery

I know about the Royal Marine Artillery, would they be the same thing

Ian :)

Guest stevebec

Wouldn't MMGS be more like Motor Machine gun Squadron, were they not the name for the early Armoured car units.

S.B

No, the MMGS was a separate service - hence Motor Machine Gun Service - formed from men on the RA and RHA in November 1914. Some 24 batteries were raised over the next year, when they were transfered to the MGC(Motors) (Army Order 480 1914, dated 12 Nov).

The MMGS had batteries - not squadrons; the MGC (Motors) had Armoured Motor Batteries. Light Armoured Car Batteries, Light Armoured Batteries and Light Car Patrols at various places and theatres.

Only the MGC (Cavalry) had Squadrons.

Did the RND have its own Artillery

I know about the Royal Marine Artillery, would they be the same thing

Ian :)

The RND did indeed have its own artillery, however, this was not provided by the RMA.

A Battalion of the RMA landed with the RND in 1914, but re-embarked before coming under fire. These men were landed as infantrymen and not artillerymen (they possessed no heavy weapons). After this time RMA personnel did not serve with the RND. However, they did man AA batteries in France, as well as the RN Siege Guns and RMA Howitzer Brigade. The RMA also manned guns in the fleet.

At Gallipoli no specific artillery formations were part of the RND. Frequently artillery support was provided on the peninsula by RN warships opperating inshore. After the RND became the 63rd (RN) Division and was placed under army control the following RA formations were attached as divisional artillery:

CCXXIII (H) (1/IV Home Counties) Brigade, RFA (joined 9 June 1916, broken up 26 July 1916)

CCCXV (2/I Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (joined 5 July 1916, left 11 February 1917)

CCCXVI (2/II Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (joined 5 July 1916, broken up 31 August 1916)

CCCXVII (2/III Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (joined 5 July 1916)

CCCXVIII (2/IV Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (joined July 1916)

In addition the RFA provided heavy trench mortar batteries, but light trench mortar batteries were manned by men drawn from the RND.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Could some kind Pal kindly translate any of the following, contained on one random page of the local Absent Voters List:

WR/24100 Cpl John Manger, 331st R.C. Co., Royal Engineers

WR/269507 Sapper Bertie Ward, no 11 L.R.O Co Royal Engineers

327th and 390th (HS) Works Co Labour Corps

801 and 808 A.E. co. Labour Corps

Kate

RC Co - Railway Construction Company

LRO Co - Light Railway Operating Company

HS - Home Service

AE Co - Area Employment Company

Charles M