Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian RFC training school pics

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

These are the photographs of Albert Buranelli, RFC, and were enclosed in a letter he sent from flight school at Armour Heights, Canada on November 3, 1917. His number was 72955. B Flight. 92nd Squadron. I am assuming most of the airplanes are Canadian built JN-4’s (but expert identification is most welcome). Typical flight school pictures usually show pilots posing by their airplanes on the ground. The fact that some of these pictures were taken while in flight makes them very interesting (at least to me).

Gary

post-5505-1116899562.jpeg

Guest R Pope

Very interesting indeed! The ambulance is great--is it a Peerless? The Canuck Jenny was somewhat different to the American original, it had a "conventional" stick control in place of the Deperdussin wheel, along with other changes. It was somewhat more suitable for training fighter pilots for that reason.

Very interesting indeed! The ambulance is great--is it a Peerless? The Canuck Jenny was somewhat different to the American original, it had a "conventional" stick control in place of the Deperdussin wheel, along with other changes. It was somewhat more suitable for training fighter pilots for that reason.

I believe the ambulance is a Packard (which was a prestige automobile in those days!). Supposedly the ambulance was always called "Hungry Lizzie", but I suppose everyboby called ambulances that, or something like it.

Good pictures!

The photographs are quite interesting both in terms of content and also from the detail of the clouds in the sky. Most photographic films of this era were orthochromatic and not the panchromatic [full spectrum] black and white films are familar with today.

It is quite uncommon to see clouds in the sky with these older orthochromatic films and I am guessing the skys must have been unusually cloudy/stormy on this day. The last two exposures illustrate the more common image of the "white, cloudless" skys.

Regards

Borden Battery

Guest Gary Davidson

Borden --

Interesting point you make about the sky in these photographs. I reduced the file size down by more than half before uploading. In full resolution you can easily make out ground landmarks beneath the four airplanes flying in formation (photo #3). The ground is clearly visible beneath a veil of wispy white clouds.

Content note: If you look closely, you'll notice that the pilot in the first photo has a big smile on his face.

Gary

Guest Gary Davidson

Since it might be of interest, follows is the text of letter enclosed with the pictures:

Friday Night

November 3, 1917

Armour Heights

Aviation Camp

Dear Friend:

Received your letter some time ago but have been so busy I have not had a chance to write you before. The simple reason is simply this. One of the cadets named Murphy was sent up one day with permission to remain in the air for twenty minutes. He stayed up for two hours and ran out of gasoline. He lost his head and in the fall of 800 feet was killed. Two days after he was killed I was sent up and landed in a field where I met two friends of mine the consequences were I did not get in till an hour and a quarter passed. Result: Two weeks in the Gaurd Room or Clink as we call it here. As we cannot communicate with anyone during our confinement you see it was impossible to answer you sooner.

Would like you to send me one of your pictures if it is not too much trouble. To tell the truth I have a very bad memory for faces. The next time I will get you some more of those pins for some of your friends.

Enclosed you will find the pictures I promised you. I’m due on gaurd in 10 minutes so I’ll have to finish.

Best regards,

Albert Buranelli

Guest R Pope

jhill--right, it's a Packard. Model 38, I think. The Peerless was similar, but the front fenders curve down in front, not flat like in the photo. BTW, there's a drawing of a Jenny, "City of Toronto", in "The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft", must be the replacement for the wrecked one as the tail number is C368!