Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Morgan RSF & MGC ?? What Btn Coy ?? etc

mike331278

Hi there, I am new to this, Any help would be grately appreciated

Iam trying to find any information on My Great Grandfather,Samuel Morgan b.1886 Cornhill? Kilwinning I only just today recieved this info

No: 42894

Regiment: MGC

Name: Morgan

Initials: S

also Royal Scots fusiliers No 3122004

He has; a military Medal; War Medal; Victory Medal; and a Belgian Croix de

Guerre.

He had a diploma Freedom Of Belgium which was destroyed in a fire at the Regimental Museum RHF 518 sauchiehall street Glasgow

fire in 1985.

Q. What would this diploma be given for

"The Medal was issued for some act of Gallantry that he performed and as it

must have taken place on Belgian soil they also decorated him for valour,

the War Medal and Victory Medal was issued to all the troops taking part in

the war."

Any info or any links or anything that anyone can help me with,

Thank you

Michael Lindsay

mike331278@hotmail.com

What Btn or Coy of the RSF or MGC would he have been in , any help would be appreciated

post-7021-1116887411.jpg

This is his Medal Index Card for his Service Medals.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=3

This is his MM card:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=5

Have you read the Long, Long Trail's guidance on the Medal Index Cards?

Each of these are downloadable costing £3.50 each. The MM card should tell you when the London Gazette published his MM award which is usually 2-4 months after the action in which it was won.

However, here is the London Gazette entry:

Gazette of 16-July-1918 (published 12-July-1918)

42894 Pte. S. Morgan, M.G. Corps (Irvine)

The MM may well have been from the German Spring Offensive in March 1918. There are no citations for MMs.

Steve.

Many thanx Steve, Will it be worthme downloading the cards, is there much info on them???

thanx again

Michael..

Is there anywhere I can find more info/documents for free, online or email/ contact someone????

Ah, you're back...

Please read the above post again, as I have edited it.

The MM card is probably not worth it now.

The Service Medals card will probably not tell you much more, since he didn't qualify for the 1914-15 Star, hence he went to war after 1-1-1916.

It MAY just tell you what MGC unit he was with, but that information is more likely in the Medal Rolls books at the National Archives at Kew.

Steve.

Croix de Guerre entry in Gazette

Gazette of 12-July-1918, (Published 9-7-1918)

42894 Private Samuel Morgan, Machine Gun

Corps (Irvine).

Steve

HI Steve, Iam searching the london gazette but no information is comming up , can u pls give me the link(s) to the info u have posted here

thanx

Michael

Many thanx steve

I have now just found this article on My Great Grandfather

The information I found is on the

database on Ayrshire-Roots, It refers to a small article that appeared in the local weekly newspaper 'Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald" (edition dated 10th May 1918).

post-7021-1117158332.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What Btn or Coy of the RSF or MGC would he have been in , any help would be appreciated

do u know by looking at the army numbers ??

My Gt Grandfather is in the middle row : 4th from the right

the photo is RSF, I have no idea if this photo was a reunion or something as he joined the RSF in his 20's I think then transferred to MGC, he looks quite old in this photo and apears to be wearing RSF again ??? Confusing

thanx for any help

appreciated :D

post-7021-1118795844.jpg

Have you downloaded the mic for his MM yet as I suggested on the other thread that you have on this subject ? This may well tell you which Btn/Coy he was serving in when the MM was awarded.

Steve

The second photo looks very much like a Homeguard unit,from WW2,to me.

No expert on the MGC,and the MGC numbering system can be very confusing,but here is a shot in the dark.

101st Company,MGC??.

If you look at the MIC,it has MGC 101/B29 and then a page number.

101st,served in 34th Division,and the 34th had some Scottish units within it,including 15th and 16th Royal Scots and the Argyll and Southern Highlanders.

It later went on to be a Company of the 34th Battalion MGC,and this would have been the unit he would have won his MM with,in 1918,if my shot in the dark is correct.

His Army service number is quite high(6 digits?)for a pre-war TF man.

All speculation,on my part,Mike,and i hope the experts out there can bail me out.

All the best,and good luck in your search.

Simon.

I added a reply to this some time ago, but removed it as it seemed to be interrupting other people's flow of ideas. But to re-state my case :ph34r: - the seven figure service number, 3122004, is one of a block issued to the Royal Scots Fusiliers during the army renumbering after 1920. So if this man was serving after the beginning of 1921 with the RSF, his service record will still be held by the Ministry of Defence.

Sue

Many thanx for all your reply's, As far as I know he was in the RSF then went onto joing the MGC, Do you think he went back RSF later on again or after the MGC Disbanded??

I just downloaded the M.M MIC, Its says 3rd Btn - can any help me in finding any more info about 3d Btn etc, I'm not good with all this but I'm sure theres lots of people out there that know alot :D Q. What is the schedule No at the bottom right ??

Many thanx again

post-7021-1118841934.jpg

3rd Btn was formed in March 1918 from 8th, 9th, 76th and 233rd Coy. From his service number he was most likely to have originally been from 8th or 9th Coy. He would probably have joined them, in the field, at about the end of July 1916 having first joined the MGC Depot at Grantham around about mid November 1915.

Steve