Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Formula 1 Hotel Peronne

Mark Hone

Brian,

What sort of food do they do??

I have only stayed in Campaniles in Paris and that was about 10 years ago.  I do recall them doing food

Steve

As I recall thay did some fixed price specials around €10-€15 (one of which was fish), plus a la carte, all French of course! Breakfast is extra but there are facilities to do your own in the rooms and TV etc. If you visit one you can pick up a booklet and maybe order one online at the link I gave. Booking online is easy. There are a few Campaniles in the UK.

I stayed, in an emergency, at the Campanile on the outskirts of Calais last year. The accommodation wasn't wonderful, but the food in the restaurant was splendid, regional seafood delicacies, fresh produce etc. A good sign was that lots of locals were eating there.

What sort of food do they do??

Breakfast is a help-yourself generous buffet, including bread, pains au chocolat and croissants, eggs, meats, yoghurt, cheese, fromage frais, fresh fruits, prunes, fruit compotes, preserves, honey, coffee, tea, chocolate, squeeze-your-own orange juice plus a few regional specialities. You can be healthy or have a cholesterol trip.

Evening meals are typically three / four courses: self-serve buffet hors d’oevres, typically including a reasonable choice of salads, pates or cold meats; then plat served by attendants; then self-serve cheese and / or buffet of desserts. Plus coffee. Plats may typically be casserole-based such as coq au vin or boeuf à la bourguignonne, or steaks, or grills, or regional such as andouillettes.

Vegetarian choices are hopeless (omelette) and the cooking is adequate but not sophisticated or inventive.

Wine is inexpensive.

The principal advantage is that they are convenient. They are not smoke free and you have to make a point of asking to be separated from the environmental polluters, but the staff will accommodate the request reasonably willingly, while looking sideways at you as if you need psychiatric treatment.

Rooms have (instant) coffee and tea making facilities and if you want to eat there they will deliver something cold on a tray, which can be useful if you know you will arrive late and telephone in advance.

Gwyn