Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with memorials to visit near Bernatre

pompeyrodney

I shall be going on holiday next week to Bernatre in Northern France and would like to pay my respects at any nearby cemetaries or visit any local historical sites whilst there. Any pals help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Julian

Hello

I think Doullens worth a visit.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/HWM_site/Doulle...ame1Source1.htm

http://www.somme-tourisme.com/fr/decouvrir...ue_doullens.asp

=============

If by chance you intend to visit the Fillievres British cemetary (18 km north of Bernatre) it would be nice if you take o photo of following officer grave:

CORNOCK-TAYLOR, GERALD OLDROYD

Regiment: General List

Date of Death: 14/02/1919

Awards: CBE

Additional information: Son of John and Alice Cornock-Taylor, of Alvington House, Wimbledon Common, Surrey. Officer de la Croix de la Couronne (Belgium). He was Deputy Director of Graves Registration and Enquiries G.H.Q. (and Secretary to the Imperial War Graves Commission) from 13th Dec., 1917 until his death. Those under whom he served think it fitting to place on record in this book the great ability and the unstinted devotion that he gave to this duty, and the severe loss sustained by the Army and the Commission in his death.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 32.

Thank if you can take this picture and if not have a nice trip there.

Best regards

Cemetery: FILLIEVRES BRITISH CEMETERY

Location Information: Fillievres is a village about 44 kilometres west of Arras and 14 kilometres south-west of St Pol. The Cemetery is about 1 kilometre south of the village, on the road to Frevent (D340).

Historical Information: The cemetery was begun in June 1918 by the 46th Casualty Clearing station, used later by 6th Stationary Hospital, and subsequently completed by the inclusion of graves from French cemeteries and German burial grounds in the area. The cemetery was used again during the Second World War. The cemeteries from which graves were concentrated to Fillievres British Cemetery were the following :- ACHEUX-en-VIMEU CHURCHYARD, where three British soldiers were buried in 1916. BOIRY ST. RICTRUDE CHURCHYARD, where one British officer was buried in 1916. FOSSEUX FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, where two British soldiers were buried in 1917 and 1918. MAIZIERES CHURCHYARD, where one British soldier was buried in 1917. TOURS-en-VIMEU CHURCHYARD, where one British soldier was buried in 1916. The cemetery now contains 81 Commonwealth burials of the First World War (eight of them unidentified) and 19 Second World War burials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 92

Julian, if 23 miles isn't too far, that's how far you'll be from Agincourt (Azincourt) which is well worth a visit. The new museum there is the best value for money of any battlefield museum, in my opinion. Plus the battlefield itself must be the easiest in the world to understand! If you go, go to the museum first and pick up the information sheet for the self-drive tour around the battlefield.

Tom

Hello Julian,

What is your definition of 'nearby'?

You are located 7 km N. of Prouville:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/geo/22.htm

If a number is hyperlinked its a cemetery with (roughly) more then 20 graves.

Regards,

Marco

Many thanks Marco I will do my best to get around the area to see as much as I can, great website by the way.

Cheers

Julian

Julian, if 23 miles isn't too far, that's how far you'll be from Agincourt (Azincourt) which is well worth a visit.  The new museum there is the best value for money of any battlefield museum, in my opinion.  Plus the battlefield itself must be the easiest in the world to understand!  If you go, go to the museum first and pick up the information sheet for the self-drive tour around the battlefield.

Tom

Hi Tom

That is much appreciated I will certainly do as you suggest, thanks for taking the time to reply. Will post my thoughts when I return at the end of next week.

Cheers

Julian

Hello

I think Doullens worth a visit.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/HWM_site/Doulle...ame1Source1.htm

http://www.somme-tourisme.com/fr/decouvrir...ue_doullens.asp

=============

If by chance you intend to visit the Fillievres British cemetary (18 km north of Bernatre) it would be nice if you take o photo of following officer grave:

CORNOCK-TAYLOR, GERALD OLDROYD

Regiment: General List

Date of Death: 14/02/1919

Awards: CBE

Additional information: Son of John and Alice Cornock-Taylor, of Alvington House, Wimbledon Common, Surrey. Officer de la Croix de la Couronne (Belgium). He was Deputy Director of Graves Registration and Enquiries G.H.Q. (and Secretary to the Imperial War Graves Commission) from 13th Dec., 1917 until his death. Those under whom he served think it fitting to place on record in this book the great ability and the unstinted devotion that he gave to this duty, and the severe loss sustained by the Army and the Commission in his death.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 32.

Thank if you can take this picture and if not have a nice trip there.

Best regards

Cemetery: FILLIEVRES BRITISH CEMETERY       

Location Information: Fillievres is a village about 44 kilometres west of Arras and 14 kilometres south-west of St Pol. The Cemetery is about 1 kilometre south of the village, on the road to Frevent (D340).

Historical Information: The cemetery was begun in June 1918 by the 46th Casualty Clearing station, used later by 6th Stationary Hospital, and subsequently completed by the inclusion of graves from French cemeteries and German burial grounds in the area. The cemetery was used again during the Second World War. The cemeteries from which graves were concentrated to Fillievres British Cemetery were the following :- ACHEUX-en-VIMEU CHURCHYARD, where three British soldiers were buried in 1916. BOIRY ST. RICTRUDE CHURCHYARD, where one British officer was buried in 1916. FOSSEUX FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, where two British soldiers were buried in 1917 and 1918. MAIZIERES CHURCHYARD, where one British soldier was buried in 1917. TOURS-en-VIMEU CHURCHYARD, where one British soldier was buried in 1916. The cemetery now contains 81 Commonwealth burials of the First World War (eight of them unidentified) and 19 Second World War burials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 92

I will do my best but I cannot promise to go there as doubtless my partner will not want to go to too many cemetaries whilst on holiday !!

Regards

Julian

Julian, if 23 miles isn't too far, that's how far you'll be from Agincourt (Azincourt) which is well worth a visit.  The new museum there is the best value for money of any battlefield museum, in my opinion.  Plus the battlefield itself must be the easiest in the world to understand!  If you go, go to the museum first and pick up the information sheet for the self-drive tour around the battlefield.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for your suggestion but could you give the details about this museum as I cannot seem to find any info about it. Do you have its address please as I am very interested to go there.

Many thanks Tom

Julian

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Marco

The trip went very well thanks, we really enjoyed the break and I mangaged to get to quite a few items of historical interest. I was glad I went to see the Australian memorial at Villers Brettoneaux, but surprised to only find one 8th battalion AIF grave there. We also went to Vimy Ridge but were disappointed to find the memorial was inaccessible due to renovations at present. All in all a very good visit was had and the wine rack was topped up into the bargain :D

Regards

Julian