Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Census look up.

Duncan

Hi,

Can any kind person do a Scottish census search for me please?

The person is Robert Moore, born 1891 (give or take a year). Sorry, not much to go on I know!

Also a William Creber. Sorry, even less to go on with this bloke. All I know is that he served in the First War and was Scottish.

Loads of thanks for the help,

Duncan.

Hi Duncan,

There is a good chance that this is one of your men:

Pte./Cpl. William D Creber, S/7993, Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)

He is the only obvious person of that name serving with a Scottish regiment. There are two MICs for him.

With that surname and a middle initial it should be quite possible to find his birth certificate. However, Scotland's People is a bit of a pain - you need 'active' credits even to search. Sorry, but I don't have any at the moment.

Robert Moore - I'm afraid that you're going to have a big problem with that one unless you can get more info to go on.

Stuart

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I think those two MICs are for Mr Creber. I have a suspicion one of them may relate to an MM award, as someone on another thread said two MIC sometimes relate to this, or could be a 1914 Star.

Mr Moore is proving a headache! I would love to have a location for him. He served with the 1st Camerons and 6th and 7th Gordons, that was in his MIC. But a hand written slip that came with the medals also said he served with the 2/2nd Lovat’s Scouts. Can’t find any reference to this anywhere, so guess someone somewhere found out something about him I can’t get at – local roll of honour, newspaper report? Guess I’ll never know now!

Cheers for the help,

Duncan.

Hello again,

Going by the numbers WO 372/5, neither will be a MM award, they are under WO 372/23.

The 2/2nd Lovat Scouts sounds like a typical enlistment unit. This type of information is usually found in local rolls of honour. Sounds like the info is out there somewhere, but where?

Stuart

The MICs for MMs have a WO372/23 reference. These are both WO372/5.

It may well be one for his Service Medals and one for a SWB.

My Royal Highlander great-uncle, however, had 2 identical MICs on different download references. These two are for different ranks, though.

Steve.

EDIT:

SNAP!

Edited by Stebie9173

EDIT:

SNAP!

Great minds.....