As per CWGC

Name: MacKAY, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/05/1915

Service No: 994

Additional information: Son of William MacKay, of 23A, Rossie Place, Edinburgh.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: EDINBURGH (ROSEBANK) CEMETERY

& the cemetery info

Cemetery: EDINBURGH (ROSEBANK) CEMETERY

Locality: Edinburgh

Visiting Information: The majority of the burials are in the Memorial Ground.

Historical Information: During the First World War, Edinburgh was headquarters to the 4th,5th,6th and 9th Battalions of the Royal Scots, with the 7th Battalion at Leith. The 2nd Scottish General Hospital (1,000 beds) occupied Craigleith Poorhouse, the Edinburgh War Hospital (2,600 beds) was in the Asylum buildings at Bangour and the Leith War Hospital (585 beds) in the infirmary at Leith. The port of Leith was used by hospital ships from north Russia and about 4,500 officers and men passed through it. Second World War military hospitals were in Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and Bangour. The city was also Scottish Command Headquarters. Edinburgh (Rosebank) Cemetery contains 270 First World War burials. Most died in the Gretna railway disaster, when two trains collided at Quentin's Hill Junction near Gretna on 22 May 1915, killing 210 officers and men of the 1st/7th Royal Scots on their way to embark for Gallipoli. Victims of the disaster are buried in the Memorial Ground. The cemetery also contains 36 Second World War burials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 306

Can't find a MIC index entry for George so it doesn't look like he saw service outside the UK

You won't find one because (from parent site):

1/7th Royal Scots

A and D Coys were involved in a rail accident at Quintinshill near Gretna on 22 May 1915 while en-route to Liverpool from Larbert in Stirlingshire. They were on their way to embark for Gallipoli. 210 men were killed and 224 injured, forming the majority of the 473 casualties of the worst disaster in British railway history.

Stuart

You can find the Scottish born soldiers involved in this tradegy by going to:

Scottish National War Memorial

and searching by the date (22/05/1915) only.

There is a lot of information out 'there' about this terrible accident. It would seem that everything that could of went wrong did!

Stuart

George was born in London.

SNWM.

Surname MACKAY

Firstname George

Service number 994

Date of death 22/05/1915

Decoration

Place of birth London

Other 7th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS (LOTHIAN REGIMENT)

Rank Cpl

Theatre of death Home

For a listing and to see George's name panel see my friend Forest Anderson's website.

http://www.military-researcher.com/LondonGazette.html

Aye

Malcolm

You can find the Scottish born soldiers involved in this tradegy by going to:

Should of read Scottish born or of Scottish descent.

But I'd still have been wrong. On the site the criteria for admission to the Rolls reads:

"A member of the Armed Forces of the Crown or of the Merchant Navy who was either a Scotsman (i.e. born in Scotland or who had a Scottish born father or Mother) or served in a Scottish Regiment and was killed or died (except as a result of suicide) as a result of a wound, injury or disease sustained in a theatre of operations for which a medal has been or is awarded; or whilst on duty in aid of the Civil Power."

My idea for putting the link up was that it is a very useful online resource for anyone (like myself) who doesn't have access to SDGW.

Cheers,

Stuart

This Thursday night, 26/5/05, ITV Border at 19.30 are showing a 30 minute documentary on the disaster.

This Thursday night, 26/5/05, ITV Border at 19.30 are showing a 30 minute documentary on the disaster.

Thanks for the info. Good, old Border TV delivers at last ;)

I will get my folks to tape it for me.

Stuart