Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment

ErnieNoakes

Corporal Bertram Bytheway 295166 Manchester Regt.

The above info comes from MIC. There is nothing available re his military records. Is it possible to determine which Bn he served in and when the number was allocated? There is no family knowledge.

Regards,

Ernie

Corporal Bertram Bytheway 295166 Manchester Regt.

Looks like a post-1917 7th battalion Manchester Regt. number to me. However, the Manchesters are one of those regiments that throws too many anomolies into the numbering system to be able to give a hard and fast answer.

The answer will be found on his medal rolls.

Dave.

Looks like a post-1917 7th battalion Manchester Regt. number to me. However, the Manchesters are one of those regiments that throws too many anomolies into the numbering system to be able to give a hard and fast answer.

Dave.

hello ernie,could his real name be albert,and do you think the lack of records means he was underage,the name originates from staffs/shropshire,sorry i cant be of much help,daves hit it on the head, the man regt is puzzling at times.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've just downloaded his card but there is no indication of Bn. Am I checking the right docs?

Regards,

Ernie

The MIC is just the Index Card to the Medal Rolls books stored at the National Archives. These will mostly state the Battalions as well as regiments, except in the case of Royal Engineers, Labour Corps, etc.

A trip to the NA is needed, or finding someone to look for you...

Steve.

The MIC is just the Index Card to the Medal Rolls books stored at the National Archives.

Although it is possible to access the medal rolls of quite a few regiments elsewhere also (eg the East Lanc's medal rolls can be found in Preston as well as the NA). Unsure if the Manchester Regiment archives (recently moved) hold a copy of the rolls, but it's possible.

Dave.

Unsure if the Manchester Regiment archives (recently moved) hold a copy of the rolls, but it's possible.

There was talk of the Museum buying a copy, but I don't know if it happened.

J

Although it is possible to access the medal rolls of quite a few regiments elsewhere also (eg the East Lanc's medal rolls can be found in Preston as well as the NA). Unsure if the Manchester Regiment archives (recently moved) hold a copy of the rolls, but it's possible.

Dave.

Once again thanks to all who offered advice, one last question before I close; does anyone know the web address of the museum? I've tried to find it on the web but the addresses I came up with got me nowhere.

Many thanks

Ernie

Ernie

Link is here

John

Thanks John