Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two graves??

eviltaxman

I've started to look in to the WW1 & WW2 memorials (or lack of) in the area I born. There are no roadside or cemetery memorials, only those inside the churches on the walls.

One name I've been looking at came up twice on the CWGC site. I initially thought one was the grave and the other a marker.... but no.

See pics below and let me know I'm not going mad. Also if their is a Pal local to either of the cemeteries, could they please do me a favour and take a snap of the headstone?

I know this is WW2 related, but i'd rather not put it in "Utterly" as it may get overlooked.

Les.

Les,

I don't know about these things but the heading states "Grave/Memorial Reference." Could these be a memorial at Sittingbourne and a grave in Brookwood M.Cem?

Roy

This is the only man with two official war graves.

I have given the story before on the Forum. I will search and see if I can find it to save reposting the whole thing.

Can't find it and so here it is again.

He died 14.09.40 when his Hurricane crashed and buried itself at Chart Sutton, Kent.

Partial remains of this casualty were recovered on two separate occasions.

Those recovered first in 1940 were buried as an unidentified airman in Sittingbourne Cemetery. The second set recovered and identified in 1980 were buried in a named grave in Brookwood Military Cemetery, Surrey. The discovery was made during the excavation of the crash site by aircraft archaeologists and they identified the aircraft which, in turn, lead to the pilot's identification.

In 1998 the error was discovered but the two graves have been left undisturbed at the request of the next-of-kin. Therefore, this airman has two graves each now with a named headstone. He is the only person with two official war graves.

Roy

The 'Grave/Memorial' heading just means that the following data is either the number of the grave or, if the name is on a memorial to the missing, it is the panel number upon which the name appears.

PALS, LES.

This is not ment to be ireverent but simply a matter of fact that only a BRISTOL boy could have two graves.;

MAY HE REST IN PEACE AND RISE IN GLORY.

CHEERS.

JOHN :D

John - too right!! :P

Terry, Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I'd read about this before, but I too couldn't find it. This'll make the next visit to the church a little more interesting when I pass this on!!

Thanks again,

Les.

ps......... anyone live local to these two... any chance of a pic please? I'll pop this thread into the relevant section as well.

Roy

The 'Grave/Memorial' heading just means that the following data is either the number of the grave or, if the name is on a memorial to the missing, it is the panel number upon which the name appears.

Thanks for the explanation Terry, so much for my logical thinking! :huh:

Roy

I'm just bumping this one back to the the top... on the off chance someone is out & about over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Thanks,

Les.