Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Hilton Dalzell McKnight, R.G.A.

Guest HKSmith

Guest HKSmith

I recently acquired a Smith & Wesson revolver with British proof marks chambered for the .455 Webley Mk. II cartridge. It was shipped on Oct. 14, 1915 and has "H.D.McKnight" and "RGA" inscribed on the frame. Using information on this excellent website, I was able to identify this person as Lt. Hilton Dalzell McKnight.

I downloaded a copy of his medal card (Type 1) and wonder if anyone can help me decipher the notations in the "Remarks" section. They are:

IV.X/1334d/31-7-23 NW/7/24055

The NW/7/24055 is repeated in the lower right hand corner. There is also a small x in front of his rank (Lieut.).

Thanks for your help.

The notations you are questioning are as follows:

IV.X/1334d/31-7-23 NW/7/24055
Indicates the authorization for the mailing of his awards and the date of mailing + 31 July 1923.

There is also a small x in front of his rank (Lieut.).
There should be a similar "x" by one or more of the medal names. Indicates that his medals are named in the rank of "Lieut."

Lieut. Hilton Dalzell McKnight was commissioned in the RGA Special Reserve on 6 Mar 16. He was promoted to Lieut., RGA, SR on 6 Sep 17. There are papers at the National Archives under file WO339/46198 that may be his papers.

Regards. Dick

Guest HKSmith
The notations you are questioning are as follows:

Indicates the authorization for the mailing of his awards and the date of mailing + 31 July 1923.

There should be a similar "x" by one or more of the medal names.  Indicates that his medals are named in the rank of "Lieut."

Lieut. Hilton Dalzell McKnight was commissioned in the RGA Special Reserve on 6 Mar 16.  He was promoted to Lieut., RGA, SR on 6 Sep 17.  There are papers at the National Archives under file WO339/46198 that may be his papers. 

Regards.  Dick

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, there is a small "x" in front of the notation for his Victory medal.

I'll continue to look into his service record using the information you provided. I'd love to know how this revolver found its way back to the U.S. Does anyone know if British gun laws of that era allowed officers to keep their service revolvers? If they remained as family possessions, what would happen now that handguns have been outlawed in England?