Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC

felsan

I am trying to obtain my grandads MIC but do not know his regiment no. all i know is that he was a Bombardier in the Royal horse artillery can anyone give me any ideas

Hi

if this is my grandad no wonder i couldnt find him his name is spelt with 2 l"s.how can i prove its him do they give an address on the cards.thank you so much

Apparently about 10% of the cards had address details on the back, but they are not currently avaliable for search. You could look through all the Philip/Phillip Kings to see if there were any others that were Bombardiers in the RHA.

Regards

Gavin

You could look through all the Philip/Phillip Kings to see if there were any others that were Bombardiers in the RHA.

And you also have to look through the P Kings too. Did he have a second name? That will also affect the search.

All the best

Fred

The Phillip King mentioned above also has an MIC for either a Meritorious Service Medal, Mention in Despatches or Territorial Eficiency Medal:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...resultcount=119

With just a quick trawl, I can't see any other likely candidates...

EDIT:

And the London Gazette seems to be playing ball tonight:

Search parameters = P. King R.H.A.

Gazette 17-6-1918 (date on search 14-6-18)

Awards of Meritorious Service Medals:

79980 Bombr. P. King, R.H.A. (Banstead).

Does that place of residence fit?

I assume that's Banstead, Surrey near Epsom..

EVEN MORE EDITING:

The 1901 Census has Philip King (one "l") born 1891 in Tadworth and Charles King born 1894 in Banstead - both living at Banstead, Surrey.

Also parents : Henry King, born 1859 in Cheam (Builders labourer), Anne King born 1855 Banstead,

Siblings: Edward King b1889 Walton on the Hill, Walter King b1899 Banstead.

Also 3 step-daughters: Eunice (1893, Banstead), Hilda (1882, Eltham, Kent - Domestic servant) and Lois (1890, Banstead) Lock.

Address seems to be No. 10 Mint or Mind Cottages.

Any of this familiar??

(By the way, Bombardier was the Artillery version of Corporal, I believe)

Steve

Stebie9173 wrote:

(By the way, Bombardier was the Artillery version of Corporal, I believe)

That is true today but during the Great War the Royal Artillery also had the rank of Corporal so Bombardier was a rank above Gunner but below Corporal. Regards. Dick

I stand corrected! Thanks, Dick.

Steve.

Hi Steve

I am absolutely jumping for joy,how on earth did you manage to find all this info out.i am amazed.Yes Banstead fits as that is where they lived.I can never thank you enough

Glad to be of help, Felsan.

This is what I did.

I checked with the online MICs following Coldstreamers lead.

Checking the MICs for other Kings in the RHA threw up a MSM MIC.

Following that to the online copies of the London Gazette, I found the reference to his MSM which gives his residence at enlistment.

I also checked to the 1901 Census which had a Charles King (your Coldstream Guard) and a Philip in the same family, which helped confirm I was looking at the right man.

I take it this family are definitely your ancestors, then?

All in all, it was a piece of luck (for us, not him) that he had a gallantry medal, otherwise finding him would have been a lot harder!

Of course, things are never quite 100% in this game, but I think we are right here...

Steve.

Hi Steve

yes it is definately my ancestors,thank you so much for spending the time to work it out i am most grateful

All the best

Felsan

Another success story

Ian