Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

coldstream guards

felsan

When my great uncle was discharged due to injuries he was in the 5th ® battalion,i took it they disbanded before leaving english shores.does anyone have any war diaries,it would be much appreciated

When my great uncle was discharged due to injuries he was in the 5th ® battalion,i took it they disbanded before leaving english shores.does anyone have any war diaries,it would be much appreciated

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I would assume that as the 5th Coldstream never went overseas, they wouldn't have a War Diary. Your Great Uncle must have been insomething else, and posted to the 5th bn prior to discharge - it was a training and holding unit sending drafts to overseas battalions.

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I would assume that as the 5th Coldstream never went overseas, they wouldn't have a War Diary.  Your Great Uncle must have been insomething else, and posted to the 5th bn prior to discharge - it was a training and holding unit sending drafts to overseas battalions.

Felsan, post the M.I.C. image here then someone should be able to help you interpret it.

Hello

Let me know name, rank etc and I ll look him up

5th Btn had no war diary

Ian

Hello

on the MIC it will say SWB page.. what page is it?

Some details for now below

Ian

King L/Cpl 9963 SWB Joined 29/11/13 to France 12/08/14

Hello

Lance Corporal Charles Robert King was discharged due to GSW (gun shot wound) causing a fractured skull - nasty

Silver war badge number 17051 was issued as per kings regulations 392 xvi (there is a detailed list on this site to explain)

Its SWB page is reference CG25 - should say that on the MIC

He is due a 14 Star, British War medal and victory medal

Cant tell you any more !

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian thank you so much for the info you have just sent,we knew he had GSW to head luckily he survived but only lived a few more years.we believe his death to be something to do with his injuries.they were certainly very special brave men.thank you again it is much appreciated

Hello again,

A SWB page is a reference to a folder held at the National archives that list men discharged due to wounds/injuries as a result of ww1 action.

It contains all the information I have given you

Will email you a copy if you like

Ian

Here is his Silver War Badge Card.

post-2466-1116717999.jpg