Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

INACCURATE MIC CARD INFO

tamos123

Hi all

Strange one this, the MIC I have downloaded for the outrageous sum of £3.50 for Pte Ernest Charles Barnaby 10743 1st Btn Kings Own Royal Lancaster show sentitlement to Victory and War medal only.

Though he was kia 26/08/14 buried near Le Cateau and shows on the 1914 Star Medal Roll for the 1st KORLR.

Are the cards often wrong and can I claim a refund :)

T

It probably means he has more than one card (for the 1914 Star) - so it will require another download I am afraid.

Hi T,

I've just had a little poke about at the MIC info online and there is an Ernest Barnsby 10743 Kings Own Royal Lanc Reg. Just wondered whether this could be your man and his 1914 star medal card. I know it was Barnaby that you were looking for, but everything else fits! I didn't download it though. The next time I get to the PRO I could have a look at the cards for you, if you like. It could be a few weeks though.

Alie.

Hi

Thanks for replies....I have his memorial plaque and cross referenced with SDGW and CWGC and it is E C Barnaby...suppose could be a spelling mistake on MIC.

If you are able to find anything at the PRO would be very grateful.

Might drop them a line to advise may be a spelling problem

many thanks

T

PRO very kindly agreed to send me the other MIC which confirms the correct details but the wrong surname spelling

regards

T

T, glad you finally got the right information. As others have no doubt discovered, the on-line MIC's have numerous transcription errors, particularly

with regard to the spelling of names. Caution is advised.

Terry Reeves

T, glad you finally got the right information. As others have no doubt discovered, the on-line MIC's have numerous transcription errors, particularly

with regard to the spelling of names. Caution is advised.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Indeed they do but in this instance they actually got it right and it was this adherence to what was on the two MICs which caused the problem. No win situation!

Steve

• 1 year later...

Continuing the theme of inaccuricies on M.I.C. cards, have a look at this; it says Major Bligh was killed in action.

post-3328-1156969688.jpg

However, according to De Ruvigny, he was involved in training a battery of the R.F.A. but died of "neglected appendicitis" just before leaving for the front! Two other sources simply say that he "died", and he didn't receive any campaign medals. He is buried in Headley, Hampshire.

Don't believe everything you read!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like there was a problem with accuracy right from the start according to these routine orders from the 30th Infantry Brigade.

Mark

Continuing the theme of inaccuricies on M.I.C. cards, have a look at this; it says Major Bligh was killed in action.

post-3328-1156969688.jpg

However, according to De Ruvigny, he was involved in training a battery of the R.F.A. but died of "neglected appendicitis" just before leaving for the front! Two other sources simply say that he "died", and he didn't receive any campaign medals. He is buried in Headley, Hampshire.

Don't believe everything you read!

Michael

post-14045-1158058255.jpg