Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/F. Sunken lane

Dawson

Off to the the Somme this July, and I'll be visiting Beaumont Hamel again, but this time I'm taking a friend who's never seen the lane, and I would like to show him the footage of the Men waiting to go over the top and the mine going up.

Is there a DVD out that shows this?

Or is are there web pages that show these images, that i can print off?

Thanks,

Ian

The IWM sell the Somme & Ancre films on a double video for £19.99. They don't seem to have produced it on DVD.

Regards

Simon

Off to the the Somme this July, and I'll be visiting Beaumont Hamel again, but this time I'm taking a friend who's never seen the lane, and I would like to show him the footage of the Men waiting to go over the top and the mine going up.

Is there a DVD out that shows this?

Or is are there web pages that show these images, that i can print off?

Thanks,

Ian

Ian,

There's a short downloadable clip of the Lancs Fusiliers (in the Lane) on the web. I can email the address or send both clips (men and the mine explosion) to you off forum.

Regards, Steve

I downloaded those clips off the web and took them on my laptop last year when I organised a trip for a group of friends/colleagues who hadn't visited the area before.

I also printed out some stills from the films and laminated them so that we could stand in the same spot that Malins stood. I think it makes it so much easier to visualise the events, especially as almost every small feature of the ground can be seen today, just as it was on the pictures.

Laminating them made sure we weren't holding pieces of wet paper as we stood there :unsure:

Regards,

Ken

Many thanks to you all for replying so quickly.

Thanks Stephen, I will pass on my Email address to you so you can send me the clips.

Cheers................Ian

Ian,

If you pop into the Thiepval visitors center and look over on your left as you enter thru the main door, there are some huge display boards outlining the battle of the Somme. On one of them is a still from Malins' film showing the LF in the sunken lane. Next to it is also another still from Malins film showing the Hawthorn Mine going up, again in the same area as the Sunken Lane.

Hope this helps

Iain