Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pioneer Harold Pinder RE d.20/15/1917

Will O'Brien

As per CWGC - I see the CWGC have his date of death as the 19th not the 20th............could this be the case of a late Saturday night early Sunday morning death?

Name: PINDER, HAROLD

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: "K" Special Coy.

Date of Death: 19/05/1918

Service No: 192752

Additional information: Son of Herbert Overton Pinder, of 19, St. Thomas Avenue, East Kirkby, Nottingham. Native of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 35.

Cemetery: PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE

Hang on a mo just noticed that the CWGC has the year as 1918 & we have it as 1917.................error on the CWGC part or a typo on the forum daily remembrance..................over to our compiler Terry Denham to clarify.........hopefully

Year of death issues aside here is the cemetery info

Cemetery: PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE

Locality: Pas de Calais

Location Information: Philosophe lies between Bethune and Lens. From the Lens-Bethune road (N43), follow the D165E road for 400 metres to a right turn. The cemetery lies to the left 100 metres along this track. The first CWGC sign for the cemetery is at the junction of the N43 and the D165E.

Historical Information: The cemetery was started in August 1915. In 1916 it was taken over by the 16th (Irish) Division, who held the Loos Salient at the time, and many of their dead were brought back to the cemetery from the front line. Succeeding divisions used the cemetery until October 1918, and men of the same Division, and often the same battalion, were buried side by side. After the Armistice, many isolated graves from the Loos battlefield were brought into the cemetery, including those of 41 men of the 9th Black Watch. There are now 1,996 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery, 277 of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 1721

Harold Pinder's online MIC index entry can be seen here

Another difference found..............Harold's rank is Driver on his MIC not Pioneer

The 1901 census has the 2 year old Harold listed as being born & living in Nottingham...........His father Herbert is also listed as a 32 year old Railway Stoker

Hang on a mo just noticed that the CWGC has the year as 1918 & we have it as 1917.................error on the CWGC part or a typo on the forum daily remembrance

SDGW also states 1917.

Dave.

Harold Pinder's online MIC index entry can be seen here

Another difference found..............Harold's rank is Driver on his MIC not Pioneer

On SDGW , his rank is stated as Pioneer (but, then again, it also gives his number as 102752 !)

There's definately been a typo in one of the databases!!!

Dave.

SDGW also states 1917.

Dave.

Mmmm..........it will be interesting to see what the CWGC say on this one...........wouldn't be the first wrong year from the SDGW so the jury is still out I think

On SDGW , his rank is stated as Pioneer (but, then again, it also gives his number as 102752 !)

There's definately been a typo in one of the databases!!!

Dave.

Lay your bets..............1917 or 1918, 192752 or 102752, Pioneer or Driver.............at least they all agree on his name

192752 is his correct number. Given this, and that he was serving with a Special Brigade unit , I would say on balance his correct rank at death was Pioneer. About a thousand RA men were transferred to the Special Brigade during the winter of 1915/16 and Harold Pinder appears to be one of these men.

Terry Reeves

Just picked up on this one as I am away working in sunny Cardiff at the moment.

I'll check the data. Could be an error on CWGC or SDGW - or my typing!!!!!!!

192752 is his correct number.  Given this, and that he was serving with a Special Brigade unit , I would say on balance his correct rank at  death was Pioneer.  About a thousand RA men were transferred to the Special Brigade during the winter of 1915/16 and Harold Pinder appears to be one of these men.

Terry Reeves

Terry.............Just to clarify was Harold a gas man

Just picked up on this one as I am away working in sunny Cardiff at the moment.

I'll check the data. Could be an error on CWGC or SDGW - or my typing!!!!!!!

My money is on SDGW being the culprit............I have more faith in the CWGC..........Terry, where did you originally source the data from?

I had an email today from the CWGC with regards to my query on the date of Harold's death. As far as they are concerned he died in 1918. They further clarified that all the casualties buried in Plot III. Row D. died in April/May 1918 which is pretty conclusive...............So Harold died in 1918 not 1917.......Remembered by us all the same.

A promised, I checked and the date is 1918 in CWGC's records.

Sorry for delay (and my typo) but I have been working away.