Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boot Sale

InkyBill

Hello

Can You Help ?

I was at a boot sale on Sunday and found volumes 1 to 17 of a magazine entitled 'THE GREAT WAR ... I WAS THERE !'

The sub title is 'Undying Memories of 1914-1918'.

These magazines were published in 1938 and edited by Sir John Hammerton and are full of accounts by ordinary soldiers. Can anyone tell me exactly how many editions of this magazine were actually published.

I also managed to find Volume VI of 'A Popular History of the Great War' subtitle The Armistice and After. Again this book was edited by Sir John Hammerton, anyone know where i can pick up Volumes I to V.

Thanks Bill.

This is from the British Library catalogue:

Title: The great war .... I was there. edited by Sir John Hammerton

Joint author/editor: Hammerton. Sir. John

Place of Publication: [s.l.].

Publisher Name: The Amalgamated press.

Date of Publication: 1938-1939

Description: 51. parts

Control Number: U100150343

Notes: Parts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 19 missing

I have a full set of "The Great War I was there" at home somewhere, mine are not bound into volumes and still have the dust covers that were removed for binding.

These covers are interesting as they have many requests from old soldiers, looking for comrades they have lost touch with.

I will get these magazines bound one day, but intend to leave the covers on. I think there are some on ebay at the moment.

Cheers.

Bill

They do still come up from time to time as bound volumes. I am afraid I have been an avid collector for more years than I care to mention. I am constantly amazed at the prices paid for items I purchased for next to nothing only a few years ago.

John

Just for purposes of entertainment.. have just had a break in the Cotswolds.

Stooging around Gloucester (main aim 'Regiments of Gloucestershire' Museum, worthy of separate discussion). Light of my life - who has a general interest in matters military historical [hands off, she's mine :P ] expressed desire to acquire accessible general histories of WW1. A rapid detour to Ottakar's resulted in Michael Howard's latest and John Keegan's. Howard I fully endorse; I could get 'intellectual snobby' over Keegan, but her wish was not for a 'textbook'.

Next day, in one of those 'one step up from a junkshop' antique shops in Gloucester - you know the ones I mean - a complete set of Hammerton's 'Popular History'. Pristine. No price. A mobile call '£35, but you can have them for 20'. Sale! But how odd.. why not just say '£20...'

Guest Steve Seaman

£20 is a real bargain. I thought I'd done well getting a complete set of 'Popular History' in good nick from Ebay at £27.

Steve

We got the feeling the vendors wanted rid of them!!

Well, the good luck makes up for the days when you go cross-eyed at the prices some people will pay: portrait photo postcard of an MGC L/Cpl on EBay, admittedly he's signed it, but isn't a casualty, gallantry awardee etc etc - current bidding £36. :blink: