Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

field hospitals

Guest edwinwrg4751

Guest edwinwrg4751

can any one tell me where the wounded from 66th div were taken at christmas/january time.especially wounded from 330 brigade rfa.i would like to see if its possible to see if the field hospitals kept record of wounded

There were no field hospitals either east or west of Ypres. There were Advanced Dressing Station (ADS) near the battlefield and Casualty Clearing Stations (CCS) west of Ypres, nearer to Poperinghe. Most wounded in the Salient passed through 10/CCS which was at Remi Siding, close to what is now Lijessenthoek cemetery.

can any one tell me where the wounded from 66th div were taken at christmas/january time.especially wounded from 330 brigade rfa.i would like to see if its possible to see if the field hospitals kept record of wounded

We have had many interesting discussions on this forum about finding medical records from the medical units in the field. You can probably find quite a few by messing about with the "search" feature. The general tenor of the discussions (in my opinion) is that of frustration with the lack of records.

I have an interest in the state of medical evacuations in the Ypres salient in late 1917. If you are just beginning your investigations I suggest you start off by browsing through the "Long Long Trail" mother site. There is a good introduction to the way the various medical units fitted together. There is also a list of the locations of the various Casualty Clearing Stations (not including Canadian, Australion or New Zealand units, unfortunately).

In a nutshell, the sick and wounded, after being attend to by their own units, would go to Advanced or Main Dressing stations operated by the various Field Ambulances of the Division. In your case this would be the 66th Division. Sometimes a Dressing Station or a special "hospital" (such as a hospital for sick or gas cases) would be operated by a field ambulance for all divisions in a Corps.

As Paul Reed has pointed out, you are probably more interested in Casualty Clearing Stations. These were operated by the Army (2nd Army in this case), and did not move around too much. Casualties were usually evacuated to these from the Field Ambulances. At the end of October, 1917 the 2nd Army Casualty Clearing Stations were as thus:

NINE ELMS : No. 44 C.C.S., No. 3 AUS C.C.S.

REMY SIDING : No. 10 C.C.S., No. 17 C.C.S., No. 2 Cdn C.C.S, No. 3 Cdn C.C.S.

GODESWAERVELDE : No. 11 C.C.S., No. 37 C.C.S., No. 41 C.C.S.

BAILLEUL and OUTTERSTERNE : No. 53 C.C.S., No. 2 C.C.S., No 1 Aus C.C.S.

(pardon my spelling!) I believe there was also a C.C.S. at BRANDHOEK (I think No. 32) which was removed to ELVERDINGHE late in the year.

If you have your man's service records it will often note which C.C.S. he was admitted to (and sometimes the Field Ambulance). Unfortunately it is not usually possible to go the other way. The existant diaries of the C.C.S.s rarely mention individual casualties. As an example, check the diary of No. 3 Cdn C.C.S. (Remy Siding) here .

I hope I do not seem too negative.

Guest edwinwrg4751
We have had many interesting discussions on this forum about finding medical records from the medical units in the field.  You can probably find quite a few by messing about with the "search" feature.  The general tenor of the discussions (in my opinion) is that of frustration with the lack of records.

I have an interest in the state of medical evacuations in the Ypres salient in late 1917.  If you are just beginning your investigations I suggest you start off by browsing through the "Long Long Trail" mother site.  There is a good introduction to the way the various medical units fitted together.  There is also a list of the locations of the various Casualty Clearing Stations (not including Canadian, Australion or New Zealand units, unfortunately).

In a nutshell, the sick and wounded, after being attend to by their own units, would go to Advanced or Main Dressing stations operated by the various Field Ambulances of the Division.  In your case this would be the 66th Division.  Sometimes a Dressing Station or a special "hospital" (such as a hospital for sick or gas cases) would be operated by a field ambulance for all divisions in a Corps.

As Paul Reed has pointed out, you are probably more interested in Casualty Clearing Stations.  These were operated by the Army (2nd Army in this case), and did not move around too much.  Casualties were usually evacuated to these from the Field Ambulances.  At the end of October, 1917 the 2nd Army  Casualty Clearing Stations were as thus:

NINE ELMS : No. 44 C.C.S., No. 3 AUS C.C.S.

REMY SIDING : No. 10 C.C.S., No. 17 C.C.S., No. 2 Cdn C.C.S, No. 3 Cdn C.C.S.

GODESWAERVELDE : No. 11 C.C.S., No. 37 C.C.S., No. 41 C.C.S.

BAILLEUL and OUTTERSTERNE : No. 53 C.C.S., No. 2 C.C.S., No 1 Aus C.C.S.

(pardon my spelling!)  I believe there was also a C.C.S. at BRANDHOEK (I think No. 32) which was removed to ELVERDINGHE late in the year.

If you have your man's service records it will often note which C.C.S. he was admitted to (and sometimes the Field Ambulance).  Unfortunately it is not usually possible to go the other way.  The existant diaries of the C.C.S.s rarely mention individual casualties.  As an example, check the diary of No. 3 Cdn C.C.S. (Remy Siding)  here .

I hope I do not seem too negative.

no you havnt detered me only encouraged me to use this line of finding inormation.its such a good site and i am always getting some great answers to what i ask.many thanks for one and all

edwin

JHill

As an example, check the diary of No. 3 Cdn C.C.S. (Remy Siding) here

And thanks for the intro to the Canadian Archive site. My particular area of interest is military medical and was lucky enough to be on exchange at the Candian Forces Medical Services School on Base Borden in the mid-80s. Happy memories.

Get in touch to see if I can help at all.

Chris :)

Aha, they've promoted me at last!!

:D:P