Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th Division Memorial

John_Hartley

I've just started to read the Divisional history. In the preface it states that "all profits from the sale of this book will be devoted towards the cost of the stone memorial to be erected to the 25th division in the market square of Bailleul or its vicinity".

Did it ever get erected?

John

Yes - it is indeed at Bailleul, but not in the square. It's in a road off the main square and now right in the middle of a roundabout. I don't have a image of it to hand to post for you, but it is very similar to the drawing in the Div History, and lists its ORBAT and Battle Honours. I am sure the locals who drive past it every day have no idea what it is!

Many thanks Paul.

I've just a quick flick through the History. It's the N & M reprint and doesnt seem to have any drawings. If you or other Pals come across a photo, I'd appreciate a look.

John

I've just started to read the Divisional history. In the preface it states that "all profits from the sale of this book will be devoted towards the cost of the stone memorial to be erected to the 25th division in the market square of Bailleul or its vicinity".

Did it ever get erected?

John

I'm confused (it's quite easy, actually) - my copy of a 25th Divnl History (inscribed to Lady Eileen in Xmas 1919), written by Lt Col M Kincaid-Smith, has no preface, no mention of a memorial, and (as far as I can find) no sketch. Excuse my ignorance, but is there another history to this division?

Steven

My use of the word "preface" might have been confusing. The extract I referred to, is at the bottom of page 8 (after the 1/7/16 Battle Order list). And, no, I definately can't find the sketch either.

John

Steven

My use of the word "preface" might have been confusing. The extract I referred to, is at the bottom of page 8 (after the 1/7/16 Battle Order list). And, no, I definately can't find the sketch either.

John

Thanks, John, and I am going mad. My copy has nothing under the Order of Battle on page 8...it goes straight to the Somme, on page 9. Does yours have a date for the original printing, as I am totally bewildered now.

Help.

Steven

Steven

No date of original or edition number, I'm afraid.

The N & M reprint has a title page, then pages 2, 3 & 4 are introductions by Kincaid-Smith. An unnumbered page is thne a photo of Maj-Gen Bainbridge. Pages 5 - 8 is the Battle Order giving commanders' names.

Page 9 is then headed "Chapter 1 The Somme"

Steven

No date of original or edition number, I'm afraid.

The N & M reprint has a title page, then pages 2, 3 & 4 are introductions by Kincaid-Smith. An unnumbered page is thne a photo of Maj-Gen Bainbridge. Pages 5 - 8 is the Battle Order giving commanders' names.

Page 9 is then headed "Chapter 1 The Somme"

Odd. Exactly that, but without the bit about the memorial. How strange.