Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

too late to claim his medals?

hannah

The daughter of a soldier killed in 1915 would like to know if she can claim her father's medals - she is now aged 98

He was killed in 1915 (5th Lincolns). Her mother re-married in 1920 and later that year, emigrated to New Zealand. The daughter is sure that her Dad's medals were never claimed and she asks whether its now too late

Anyone any suggestions please?

She also asks whether anyone could pick out her father from a group photograph of men of A Coy of 5th Lincolns taken on 1.11.14

Anyone got a photgraph with names please!

I have the unit history, which contains a number of individual officer photographs, and a named group of officers taken in October 1914, but no other ranks. I would be happy to supply any information from this book, but you do not mention the lady's father's name or rank.

Guest Hill 60
The daughter of a soldier killed in 1915 would like to know if she can claim her father's medals - she is now aged 98

I'm not sure about the MOD, but my Nan got a replacement set of her father's medals from the Canadian authorities after the originals wer lost in a house fire in the 60's. She applied 2 years ago and got them in a couple of months.

It wouldn't hurt to ask the MOD.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I would of thought the first step was to check his medal index card to see if the medals were 'returned undisposed' (the medal roll) should also give this info.

As an OR (?) they would have issued automatically but if she emigrated to NZ in 1920 she would have missed the start of the medal issue which was around 1922 (?). Worth doing some background stuff first.

Ian

ORs medals were sent by post to the last registered address, if they were returned to the War Office as undeliverable, they were sent to Woolwich kept for ten years, then destroyed.

However, it may be worth checking with the Army Medal office, you never know!

John Milner

If I've read the Army Medal Office website at

http://www.army.mod.uk/contacts/divisions/medals.htm

correctly then, sadly, this lady may not be able to claim her fathers medals. This is what it says

The Army Medal Office at Droitwich Spa holds details of most campaign medals issued from the 1920s and is the authority for all questions concerning the entitlement to current campaign medals. The Office provides two main services:

Issue of medals post ww1 to those entitled persons who have never received them.

Replacement of medals under certain conditions for entitled personnel.

For both circumstances, an initial letter should be sent to the Medal Office explaining the precise request and the circumstances behind it. As much of the following information as possible concerning the original recipient or entitled person should be included and where possible backed up with photocopies only of supporting documentation (entitlement to medals is only determined from original records held by the Army):

Full Name.

Date of Birth

Service Number

Date of joining first unit

Date of leaving/transfer/demob

Replacement of medals is only offered to the recipient or the immediate next of kin, and then only when clear and documented proof of loss is provided.

Where a question concerns an event over seventy years ago, the Public Records Office at Kew should be the first point of contact.

Officer in Charge

The Army Medal Office

Government Buildings

Droitwich Spa

Worcester

WR10 8AU

The Public Records Office

Ruskin Avenue

Kew

Richmond

Surrey

TW9 4DU