Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US 29th Infantry Battalion

andigger

I have been some research into the names on the local Great War war memorial. One of the men John Lyon was in the 29th Infantry Div. I had always assumed this was the same division as the Stonewall Brigade made famous at the battle of First Manassas. The article below corrected me, and I thought I share what I learned. Enjoy... I am off to learn even more. Andy

The origin of the 29th Inf. Div. was brought about by a fusion of National Guard units from Delaware, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, and the District of Columbia. The decision to fuse these units was considered to be a gamble on the future. As they had fought on different sides during the War of Succession, it was widely said that, “They’ll fight amongst themselves, not against the Germans!” But after re-grouping at Camp McClellan, Alabama, and 10 months of training, the “Doughboys” shipped out for France.

The unification of the units that made up the 29th Division was represented by it’s shoulder insignia, the Korean symbol for eternal life. The “Yin and Yang” was colored “Yankee” blue and “Rebel” gray. The “Blue and Gray” Division proved, while in France, that they no longer fought amongst themselves!

In July, 1917, the 29th was composed of the following units: 113th, 114th, 115th, and 116th Infantry Regiments; 110th, 111th, and 112th Machine Gun Battalions; 110th, 111th, 112th Artillery Regiments; 104th Mortar Battery; 104th Signal Battalion; 104th Engineer Regiment; 1 Company of Quartermasters. The 29th Division soldiers earned 1 Congressional Medal of Honor, 48 Distinguished Service Crosses, and numerous other awards.

The 29th Infantry Division was actively involved in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive of 22 September 1918. On 8 October 1918, the 29th Division, the newest in the line, pushed 10 kilometers through the German lines at the cost of some 4,00 dead, wounded, or missing. The Armistice of 11 November 1918 found our “29ers” in the area around Metz, preparing for upcoming actions. In the 21 days that the 29th Division was in combat, they captured 2148 POWs, and knocked out 250 machine guns and artillery pieces at the cost of 170 officers and 5691 enlisted men.

Lt. John Lyon was a Platoon Leader in the 116th Machine Gun Battalion, 116th Infantry Battalion, 58th Infantry Brigade, 29th Infantry Division, Army Expeditionary Force. The 116th Infantry Battalion lost 255 men KIA and 1005 WIA. John Lyon was killed on 15 October 1917 near the village of Samogneaux, France. The 116th Infantry Battalion had been advancing toward Le Bois de la Grande Montagne, or the Large Mountain Woods. In the early morning on the 15th, under the cover of a thick fog, the 116th Infantry Battalion made a final “push” towards the woods. During the day, Lt. Lyon, along with two enlisted comrades, stopped to aid a fellow soldier who was wounded. They were all killed. The 116th reached their objective at 7 pm on the 15th. Lt. John Lyon was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross posthumously for his actions that day.

--- Didier de Roland and George E. Carter

But after re-grouping at Camp McClellan, Alabama, and 10 months of training, the “Doughboys” shipped out for France.

A bit insensitive naming an Alabama camp after Little Mac? Don`t tell me there`s a Camp Sherman in Georgia! <_< Phil B

A bit insensitive naming an Alabama camp after Little Mac? Don`t tell me there`s a Camp Sherman in Georgia!  <_<  Phil B

I couldn't believe it either, but sure enough I had friends stationed after college at Ft McClellan. All I can say is that the occupation was pretty rough. In Virginia though we forced our own way... thats why we have Ft Lee and Ft AP Hill.

Andy

About Fort McClellan:-

The War Department formally established Camp McClellan on July 18, 1917. The camp was named in honor of Major General George B. McClellan, General-in-Chief of the U.S. Army from 1861 to 1862. McClellan was also the Governor of New Jersey from 1878-1881. Although it is unusual for a Southern fort to be named for a Northern general, there are strong indications that McClellan's name was a logical choice. Camp McClellan was a mobilization camp used to quickly train men for WWII. General McClellan is credited with the quick training and mobilization of the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War. Most of the first soldiers arriving at the camp were from the North. In fact, the first group to train at Camp McClellan were from McClellan's home state of New Jersey.

Are there many examples of Southern camps named for Union generals or vice versa? Phil B

Hi Andy,

I have the 29th's Division History with a Roll of Honor as well as a full roster should you have any questions regarding particular men.

Take care,

Neil

Actually Neil... John Lyon is the only one I can tie directly to the 29th Division so far. According to the local VFW post:

"John Lyon was killed in action on October 16, 1918. He was a Second Lieutenant in the 29th Division in the Machine Gun Company of the 116th Infantry."

His DSC Citation reads,

"Near Samogneux, France, October 15, 1918

Residence at entry into service: Ballston, VA

Place of Birth: Ballston, VA

General Order Number 3, War Department 1924

Second Lieutenant, 116th Infantry, 29th Division During the attack on Bois-de-la-Grande-Montagne, Lieutenant Lyon left a place of comparative safety to cross an open space, exposed to direct observation and fire from the enemy, to attempt a rescue of a wounded officer. He and two men who accompanied him were killed in the attempt. Posthumously awarded. Medal presented to father, Frank Lyon."

But I can't determine where he is buried.

Andy

Hi Andy,

See my post under the Question for Moderators thread there is a link for searching all Veterans Administration burials. I also have the 3rd Division's ROH and have the DSC & MOH citation books (In case you don't) so ask away or e-mail me any men you have a question on and I'll see what I can find.

Take care,

Neil

Edited:referenced the wrong thread!

Edited by Neil Burns

Phil... Actually my little home town (Warrenton Virginia) has an important tie with Gen McClellan. It was on the steps of the Warren Green Hotel in the middle of town where he gave his farewell speech after being relieved of command by Lincoln. Of course the towns folk had been hoping to relieve him of command much sooner!

Andy

Andy does the account actually say war of " succession?"

Actually it does..... and it gets his date of death wrong too... one time its 1917 the next its 1918. I know its 1918. This write up was done by volunteers so a grain of salt is required.

Andy

Guest jleslie

Have you read "Fighting Soldier: The AEF in 1918" by Joseph Douglas Lawrence? Lawrence was a Virginian who enlisted in South Carolina. He embarked for France with the 30th Division but was later posted to the 29th Division which he describes as "a National Guard division recruited from Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Delaware, and New Jersey, and known as the 'Blue and Gray'". He served as a Second Lieutenant with the 113th Infantry Battalion, I believe, and fought in the battle of the Meuse-Argonne. It's an unassuming and matter of fact account of his experiences and very readable. It was published in 1985 by Colorado Associated University Press.

Jennie Leslie