Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flea markets

Mat McLachlan

Hi all,

I've heard that every so often in Ieper and the Somme there are flea markets where militaria is sold.

Does anyone know when these are held? I'm in Belgium and France for most of June so I'm hoping to check one out while I'm there.

My interest, BTW, is in good quality militaria - helmets, medals etc - and not the relic items that some unscrupulous people have been offering on eBay lately.

All advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat

I cannot help with dates/locations of flea markets but Lille comes to mind. Not sure how much decent militaria you will find there these days either. There are Sunday boot sales all over the place but you need to get there very early and even then I doubt very much helmets and medals would be up for grabs.

However, there are militaria fairs which offer the best supply.

There are not many large fairs in June except for the really big one at Ciney in Belgium on the 12th June: Do not miss this.

Web site

In France I only have a couple listed - in Calvados 5/12th June (not close to the Somme!) and Sagy in Val d'Oise on June 19th. If you hang on until 3rd July there is of course one of the major annual Somme fairs at Sailly Saillisel. Also Boulogne on the 3rd July.

post-569-1116575659.jpg

Every third Sunday (before noon) of the month : "Canada", Menin Road, right side, a few hundred meter before Hooge (Bellewaarde).

Aurel