Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st July.

Alan Lines

At 06:30 this morning I asked the question at work...."o.k who knows what today is the anniversary of?"

The reply was...."I know, five years ago today david beckham got sent off against argentina." :blink:

My daughter asked her teachers what the 1st July was the anniversary of. I am pleased to say her History teacher got it right!!.

One of the others she asked couldn't answer and his reply when told the correct answer? "I'm not a history teacher" ;)

Not knocking the teaching profession, I know how hard they all work just the lack of coverage by the media etc. :D

Regards

Ali

History teacher or not you would expect a reasonably educated individual to have some sort of general knowledge that would encompass such dates. I agree all teachers have to work really hard these days in very stressful circumstances but its quite a sad reflection of their own student days and general knowledge that they are not aware of significant dates/events etc.

My daughter asked her teachers what the 1st July was the anniversary of. I am pleased to say her History teacher got it right!!.

One of the others she asked couldn't answer and his reply when told the correct answer? "I'm not a history teacher" ;)

Not knocking the teaching profession, I know how hard they all work just the lack of coverage by the media etc. :D

Hi Ali:

It sounds like your daughter has a good history teacher at home. I think it's up to parents to supplement the history their children learn at school with historical facts about their family and country. Your doing a great job on the home front.

Garth

A couple of years ago a colleague told me that they had asked a class of French students which anniversary fell on November 11. The answer? "It's two months after September 11".

And this is a country where Armistice Day is a national holiday.

Conclusion from this and the other stories above: Memory is a scarce resource and there is a lot of competition for it.

I feel that we really cannot expect too many people to remember the significance of July 1st after 87 years. History is something you are either interested in or not, and who among us can honestly remember much from those subjects at school you held little interest for ??

I think it is heartening that new generations have respect for the Great War and that November 11th still holds a place in peoples consciousness.

After all is July 1st really any more significant for the general public today than say:

Waterloo

Trafalgar

Battle of Britain Eagle Day

D-Day

After all, if WW1 was a widely known subject then why was the WFA formed ??

July 1, 1916 was the date of another catastrophy with military implications. That was the date of the enactment of the Alberta Liquor Act, which, among other things, prohibited the sale of alcoholic beverages in the Province of Alberta.

At that time of the war, all military units training in the Province concentrated during the summer at Sarcee Camp near Calgary. For some reason the lads seemed to be a bit confused when all the bars closed down. There were a number of incidents over the next few months which made interesting reading in the local papers. In one incident, a battalion sized group, apparently in good order and under control of NCOs was alledged to have marched to town and invested the barracks of the Royal North West Mounted Police in an attempt to liberate some colleagues who were supposed to have been imprisoned there.

Some of you resident in the United Kingdom may be tempted to smile at these transatlantic drinking regulations. In defence, I suppose I could point out that, as Minister of Munitions, Lloyd George is said to have ordered pubs shut down during the afternoon to cut absenteism in munitions plants. The Alberta Liquor Act was repealed within ten years. When did the pubs open during the afternoon in England?

Have one for me!

History is full of significant dates, most of which recede into dimly remembered events once we leave school.

There is only one date in history which I suspect is so deep rooted in virtually every adult English man or woman's psyche that it will probably never be forgotten - 1066.

I wonder how many years it will take before 9/11 ceases to be a significant date, even in the USA?

Tim