Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bully Grenay

stephen binks

Is the original Bully Grenay now called Bully Les Mines?

Can't seem to locate Bully Grenay on current maps.

Regards

Steve

• Admin

Bully Les Mines and Grenay are adjacent garden cities, its always a bit difficult around the Loos area I find. Eg there are signs to Mazingarbe on the main road, when its off the road, and the same with Haisnes.

Had a devil of a job locating Les Brebis last year - ended up with a"guesstimate".

Very difficult finding actual places around this area. Going back later this year for another attempt.

• Admin

Part of the IGN Bleu

post-230-1116574849.jpg

Having looked at old trench maps, Bully les Mines was a coron and Bully Grenay was where Bully les mines is now located.

Whilst on the subject of this locality, does anybody know if the abattoir in Mazingarbe still stands? and if so where it's location is?

Thanks

Steve

It was still there in 1986 when I visited it with Julian Sykes, during the research for Shot At Dawn. A very chilling place in every sense of the word; and so long ago I forget precise directions. Not somewhere I would like to go back to, to be honest.

Pardon my ignorance but where would I buy serie blue maps?

So ignorant I can't even spell it properly!

I have just received an e mail tonight from IGN as a past customer offering 30% discount on maps and CDs from their normal prices.The offer might be open to all.

I think there must be a Great War connection between the Sherwood Foresters and Bully Grenay for Ruddington a suburb of Nottingham is twinned with Bully Grenay.

I have just received an e mail tonight from IGN as a past customer offering 30% discount on maps and CDs from their normal prices.The offer might be open to all.

I think there must be a Great War connection between the Sherwood Foresters and Bully Grenay for Ruddington a suburb of Nottingham is twinned with Bully Grenay.

• 4 weeks later...

Frank

Was the link anything to do with 139th Brigade of 46th Division, as the North Midlanders were in this area for a considerable period of time in 1917/18? Also, the 1st Battalion were in the area with 6th Division in the Spring/Summer of 1917, as were the 12th (Pioneer) Battalion when 24th Division served in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

I am not sure about the divisional linkage but I would think that if the Sherwood Foresters were part of the North Midlands Division then that would be so.

Ruddington has a plaque in St Peter's Rooms indicating the twinning with Bully- Grenay,the rooms are the venue of the WFA East Midlands Branch meetings so probably a member of this branch could confirm the reason for the village's association with Bully Grenay.I have tried to find out further information about the Ruddington twinning but it may have lapsed as there is no mention of it on the Ruddington web site.The Bully-Grenay Communal Cemetery British Extension has a number of Sherwood Forester casualties interred there.

According to the CWGC,the cemetery extension was used largely as an artillery burial ground and was used during the following periods:

April 1916 to October 1916.

April 1917 to March 1918

After the war there was some consolidation done when casualties from isolated graves from battlefields east of Bully were re-interred at the cemetery.There are well over a 100 unidentified casualties

It is interesting to note how Bully-Grenay got its name.The railway from Hazebrouck to Arras ran between the villages of Bully les Mines and Grenay and the stop serving the two villages was called Bully-Grenay.British troops called the village of Bully les Mines and the British Extension Cemetery there by the double name of Bully-Grenay.The name was adopted as such by the CWGC and the name of the military cemetery became known as it is today as the Bully-Grenay Communal Cemetery Britsh Extension.To the French it is known as Cimetiere de Bully les Mines.

Regards

Frank East