Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried Near This Spot

Boreenatra

This probably is for Terry, but is there any reason why stones were erected "nearby" to burial sites. Found this in Hornchurch last week, but there was no other stone or memorial to this man, whereas some others were incorporated in memorials already erected. Regards Steve.

for what ever reason the exact original site is not known for certain.Records lost,area bombed or some other reason.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Steve

This phrase is used when the body is buried in a location which cannot now be marked.

If the body is in the same cemetery, the phrase 'Buried elsewhere in this cemetery' (or similar) is usually used but I have seen the 'near this spot' variation before.

I believe it was used when the body was buried in a common grave with other occupants and the authorities would not permit a marker to be erected over the multiple occupancy grave. This is the same reason that Screen Walls bearing many names are erected in some large municipal cemeteries.

Dear Terry and John. Thanks for your replies. I just wondered about this stone because in Hornchurch the stones are very irregular, some very close and others at angles to each other.Did the War Grave stones tend to replace existing stones or were they new memorials. As I said before some seem to be incorporated in other memorials although they would possibly be family plots. Regards Steve.

You will often find a CWGC headstone placed on a private grave.

This occurs when the private headstone has fallen into disrepair and is no longer regarded as a fitting memorial.

However, there are many private stones in disrepair and CWGC does not replace them all as there is a legal process to undertake to gain permission to do so. They are not always successful in this.

Thanks Terry for your reply. Do the CWGC stones get replaced at any time? Some of the stones in Hornchurch seem original and some seem much newer. I think i'm right in saying that in answer to a question I aked last year about my man John Guerins in the Tralee Military Cemetery, you told me there is always(or almost always) an actual grave at the sight of the stones.We had found out from the proprietor of the cemetery( it's on private ground) that the CWGC stones were moved at some time a few years ago to accommodate some road widening. Does the CWGC have any details on when that may have been, and would there be any pictures of the original settings for those stones.Hoping you may be able to help.Attached pic from last year. Regards Steve.