Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian action at Voormezele May 1916

Guest John Coupe

Guest John Coupe

I am trying to find the war diaries and maps of the Voormezele area (just south of Ipres) to plot the actions of the 29Btn Canadian Army. I have all the letters of William Duncan Stevens who was killed on 29 May 1916 at Voormezele. He is buried in Reninghelst New Military Cementy.

I would appreciate any info on the 29th or the actions that took place in the Voormezele area around the end of May 1916.

John

John,

The link below will take you to the online war diaries for the 29th Battalion. The page you require is May 1916 P.7 & P.8

There appears to have been no casualties on the 29th May but perhaps your man was one of those who were wounded on the 27th May?

Hope this helps.

29th Battalion CEF. 1915 - 1917

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

I am trying to find the war diaries and maps of the Voormezele area (just south of Ipres) to plot the actions of the 29Btn Canadian Army.  I have all the letters of William Duncan Stevens who was killed on 29 May 1916 at Voormezele.  He is buried in Reninghelst New Military Cementy.

I would appreciate any info on the 29th or the actions that took place in the Voormezele area around the end of May 1916.

John

John, go here for the relevant War Diary page. Lt. Stevens was killed by a direct hit to his dugout that morning, the only casualty of the day. He was buried the next day.

Just for the record, Voormezeele was some way behind our front line at this time. I suspect you will find he was actually in the trenches around St Eloi.