Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was this soldier in the Boer War?

steve_child00

Can anyone help me as I'm trying to find out if a soldier killed in the great war age 40 served in the Boer war or any other conflicks?.

The soldier was private 15726 Albert Beeston of the 1st btn West Yorkshire Regiment.

Any info on this man would be great.

It is very likely that the Albert Beeston of Leeds recorded in 1901 census was the same as your man. Albert Beeston was a cloth finisher and his wife Annie was a machinist. They appear to have had a 2 year old daughter also called Annie.

Myrtle

I've a question that the other Steve is probably thinking, too.

How likely is it that a man present on the 1901 Census and not listed as a soldier served in the Boer War. Would some/many of the men fighting in the initial battles of 1899 and 1900 have been sent home when things "quietened down" through 1901 and 1902?

Or is it more likely that the soldier was in, say, the Sudan.

Steve.

Steve

I've also wondered about this question. So far the soldiers that I have come across who I know for sure were involved in the Boer War have not appeared on the 1901 Census, but that doesn't prove anything.

Myrtle

How likely is it that a man present on the 1901 Census and not listed as a soldier served in the Boer War. Would some/many of the men fighting in the initial battles of 1899 and 1900 have been sent home when things "quietened down" through 1901 and 1902?

One thing about the Boer War that is often overlooked is the fact that (odd as it seems) a soldier could be "contracted" (for want of a better word) to serve there for a set time period. I've come across cases where a soldier has served in SA for, say, 6 months, come home, gone into civilian life, re-enlisted in another unit and gone back out there. On the odd occasion, you can find two QSA's to the same man due to this.

Some also "retired" from the services whilst out there and joined other units from scratch. I've got a WW1 pair to a South African soldier (1SAI) who was born in Bradford, lived in Blackpool, served in the Boer War with a Canadian unit, became "time expired" whilst out there, became a railwayman in SA for a few months , then re-enlisted in a cavalry unit!!!

Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

We'll take that as a "possible".

Just cus' it's late. This is my own Boer War "possible"

post-6536-1116455164.jpg

Arthur Brooksbank, served in Northamptonshire Regiment in WW1. (born 1878)

(Can't find MIC so probably in UK)

Would anyone like to hazard a guess what his final rank was in the army, just by looking at him? :P

And also answer the burning question: Why is he carrying Myrtle's dog?? :D

Steve.

It's quite possible that he could have served in the Boer war. If he wasn't a regular, he could have easily served with one of the Volunteer units or the Imperial Yeomanry.

Terry Reeves

It's quite possible that he could have served in the Boer war. If he wasn't a regular, he could have easily served with one of the Volunteer units or  the Imperial Yeomanry.

Terry Reeves

terry,i have com across a couple of men who were actually in SA when the census was submitted,the forms are sent out to be filled in days before,some women filled the form in,even though there hubbys were not at home,but still included his name,many blokes gave their occupation but not their part time vol details,bernard

Also answer the burning question: Why is he carrying Myrtle's dog?

Doesn't look anything like Myrtle's dog. :)

Sorry, Myrtle. It was late, and I was bored!

Steve.