Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smiler Marshall's Funeral

ianw

I visited Smiler's home this evening to give our condolences to Graham his carer.

Smiler developed a chest complaint last weekend that turned into pneumonia and he died peacefully at 7.30 pm on Monday. His last surviving child was at his bedside.

His funeral will be a real Victorian affair. As a life long lover of horses, Smiler's hearse will appropriately be pulled by black horses. Friends in Great War uniform will be present together with a bugler to sound the Last Post. Smiler will be laid to rest with his dear wife.

Family flowers only but Graham requests that any donations in Smiler's memory should be made to the British Legion.

By the way , Graham having looked after Smiler brilliantly for 4 years now plans to continue doing the same for a WWII veteran. Whoever "inherits" Graham will be doing very well indeed.

Thanks Ian

My thoughts & prayers will be with those who are there on Tuesday.

I assume the Essex Yeomanry (now a Royal Signals unit) will be represented?

RIP "Smiler"

Mark

Hi Ian,

Thanks for letting us know about Smiler. I am really saddened by his death. I was lucky enough to meet Smiler and Graham last year and I was only going to pop in for a coffee. I ended up staying for hours! Graham told me Smilers whole life story which included some videos that I watched. He cared very much for this old solider, and I did think to myself, that Graham would be quite lost without him. He was so involved with his life and encouraged visitors and small school parties to meet Smiler. I am really pleased that he will be caring for another veteran. I shall treasure my signed photo of Smiler even more now.

Alie.

When I got Ian's email yesterday telling me that he had heard that Smiler may have passed on, it brought back memories of last year when I spent several hours with Smiler and Graham. As Ian said, Graham was not only an excellent caregiver, but truly devoted to Smiler and his achievements. Ian and I spent a very enjoyable evening with them both, looking at old photographs, videos, and awards that were given to Smiler. Then Smiler was to appear as a guest at the local church Harvest Festival. Not only did Graham get Smiler ready in minutes, but he ran pushing the wheelchair all the way to the Church! I can only imagine what Smiler thought as he was bouncing along, but Ian and I were puffing behind in amazement!

Rest well, Smiler. You will be missed but forever in my thoughts.

Cynthia

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of Mr Marshall,and i am very surprised it wasn't reported in the press.

Sleep well Smiler.

Please pass on our condolences to Graham,and Mr Marshalls family.

Regards.

Simon,Tina,Rebecca,Amber,Sofia and Phoebe Furnell.

I think the press coverage was lagging a bit , as Radio 4's "Today" press review mentioned coverage of Smiler's career in the national papers today (Friday).

I am sure there will be a lot of press and media at his funeral, if only because it wil be very very tele-visual with the horse drawn hearse etc.

I think the press coverage was lagging a bit , as Radio 4's "Today" press review mentioned coverage of Smiler's career in the national papers today (Thursday).

I am sure there will be a lot of press and media at his funeral, if only because it wil be very very tele-visual with the horse drawn hearse etc.

The story made todays (Fridays) "Daily Mirror", complete with a WW1 photo of 'Smiler' on his horse and a quote from his carer.

Daily Telegraph today gives a half page coverage, whilst The times has just one short column

I am a little confused - what 'cavalry charge' at the Battle of Loos?! I am presuming he did take part in a cavalry charge; presumably the one at Monchy le Preux in April 1917, or was he in the MGC(Cav) by then?

Yes, Paul, I share your confusion and will ask Graham , Smiler's carer for elaboration on the last cavalry charge point.

I am a little confused - what 'cavalry charge' at the Battle of Loos?! I am presuming he did take part in a cavalry charge; presumably the one at Monchy le Preux in April 1917, or was he in the MGC(Cav) by then?

Paul

Probably a "cock up" by a journalist who has never heard of Loos.

One of the best journalistic "cock ups" I remember concerned a man I worked with who went to a ceremony to do with the Korean War, in which he had served.

He was carrying the Sussex banner and was interviewed in London. By the time it appeared in the "Crawley News" he was described as being an ex-member of the Royal Tank Regiment.

As a proud ex-member of 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars he was not amused.

The Telegraph coverage has a really good pictorial montage of his life including a super picture of Smiler with one of his grandchildren, taken by the looks of it in the 50's

Hi Ian,

Thanks for keeping us informed regarding Smilers passing on and the funeral arrangements. Very sad indeed.

Andy

Good to see that the BBC news website is up to speed carrying a nice piece on Smiler.

Roland.

The last words uttered by another distinguished soldier, Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson, seem particularly apposite here:

'Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.

Smiler has now crossed that final river and rests with his comrades.

Respectfully,

GAC

Yes , GAC, and a merry meeting it will have been. Smiler would no doubt have broken into one of his famous songs. Heaven help them !

I read with great interest of the passing of this gallant gentleman. With reference to points made above - I don't think he saw action at Monchy (which probably saved his life) - the Daily Telegraph reported he had been invalided home with a wounded hand in the March of '17 as Monchy took place in the April.

The press coverage has opened up once more the thorny issue of the 'last' cavalry charge. I've heard several such events referred to as the 'last' of their kind. I believe (though I'm prepared to be corrected) that my Grandfathers regiment, the Cheshire (Earl Of Chester's Own) Yeomanry took part in the very last 'last' sword in hand charge near Jezzine, in 'Vichy' Syria, during 1941.

Any other contendors ?

Martin,

I agree that a WW2 sally will probably win the last charge prize.

As regards the Great War, my Grandfather's former regiment the 19th Hussars made a last catastrophic charge against the retreating Germans in October 1918. This charge cost the lives of many men including the Colonel. I think he had a rush of blood to the head when he saw green fields and no barbed wire. Forgot the M.G's though.

Fortunately for yours truly, Grandfather had been commissioned into the RASC by then.

There was another "last" cavalry charge in Africa in the early part of WW2. It involved Italian cavalry and British (?) cavalry.

There was an article about it in the Military Historical Society Bulletin in c1965.

Smiler's funeral, with some strange copy is in todays (Saturday's) "Daily Mirror".

Also, a story about someone dressed as a bear protesting to Elizabeth Windsor. The article says that the man wants an end to Guard's busbies being made from real bear fur :lol:

Yes, journalistic licence really knows no bounds when they are dealing with heroes.

God knows what innacurate tosh will be in the papers on Wednesday. No doubt, on Tuesday , we won't be able to get into the church at all for Fleet St's finest nor see the grave for pushy snappers.

Notwithstanding this, Smiler would certainly have loved all the attention. God bless him.

Can't make the funeral but I'll be having a minutes silence to think of Albert at 2 p.m. today.

Roy

Delighted to say that I will be able to make it to Smiler's funeral. I will report back in due course.

Weather in Surrey currentlyy a bit iffy. Let's hope it improves.