Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German war memorials

Paul Hederer

Someone asked a bit ago if there were war Great War memorials in Germany in the villages.

I took some pictures of an example I saw in Bavaria recently, one that I found very unique.

You can view it here:

Bernried am Starnberger See

I will continue to snap photos when I have a chance and can post examples here in the future if there is any interest.

Paul

Paul.............very nice one indeed.............now this memorial gives the name, date of death & theatre serving when died..............Frkr,Frk & Fr I assume indicates France (Frankerich)................Fld & Fland is Flanders (Flanderen)............Serbien & Italien are pretty obvious even to me with very poor German & I assume Rus is Russia (Russland)..........now this is where I start to come unstuck.............as a stab in the dark is Heim indicating the soldier died at Home (I seem to remember Heimat is home or homeland)....................but the one I can't figure out is Elfs.............any one able to clarify that abbreviation

Nice pictures Paul.

Is vermisst German for missing, do you know ?

ie Hofmann Georg Vermisst Frkr

- Georg Hofmann missing in France date unknown.

Paul.............very nice one indeed.............now this memorial gives the name, date of death & theatre serving when died..............Frkr,Frk & Fr I assume indicates France (Frankerich)................Fld & Fland is Flanders (Flanderen)............Serbien & Italien are pretty obvious even to me with very poor German & I assume Rus is Russia (Russland)..........now this is where I start to come unstuck.............as a stab in the dark is Heim indicating the soldier died at Home (I seem to remember Heimat is home or homeland)....................but the one I can't figure out is Elfs.............any one able to clarify that abbreviation

I suggest Elsass (Alsace) .

Note: I am not able to do tje german letters with my PC...

(The third digit is not a F)

There was there heavy battles in 1915

(Hartmanwillerkopf _ Le vieil Armand)

Alsace was not considered by germans as Frankreich of course !

Regards

as a stab in the dark is Heim indicating the soldier died at Home (I seem to remember Heimat is home or homeland)....................but the one I can't figure out is Elfs.............any one able to clarify that abbreviation

Yes... Heim is Home.

Is vermisst German for missing, do you know ?

ie  Hofmann Georg Vermisst Frkr

- Georg Hofmann missing in France date unknown.

Correct

I suggest Elsass (Alsace) .

Note: I am not able to do tje german letters with my PC...

(The third digit is not a F)

Alsace was not considered by germans as Frankreich of course !

I was on the same path as all of you. I would have guessed Elsass as well, and I don't think the f is an English f either. However I cant reconcile the Germans calling part of their territory by the French provincial name.

Paul - you need to break the suspense! Andy

Hello!

Yes, as suspected what looks like Elfs is Elsass. Indeed, the Germans called it Elsaß, or Elsass, or Elsasz (I've seen all three spellings) and that was the name of the state until 1918.

Yes, vermisst is missing.

I was struck by the form of the monument, it's quite different from anything else I've seen. There are a lot of names there for (what then) would have been a small village, the same as you see here in the UK.

Above Garmisch we found the WWII memorial, which you can only reach by hiking. That was quite impressive, but unfortunately I have no pictures. I was truly stunned by how many men died from that town alone.

I'll keep my eyes open, and keep posting. In every small village, town and city there is a monument. In Mainz they still have the fund-drive wooden statue for the war wounded full of nails (give a donation, drive in a nail).

Paul

Paul - great photo. Can you hazard a guess why the statue on the memorial is St. Martin? Is there some local connection, such as the name of the church?

Tom

Tom,

Indeed there is a connection--forum members' attention to detail never fails to amaze me.

The memorial is directly across from Kirche zum Hl. Martin (St. Martin's Church) in Bernried which dates back to 1122.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. It's certainly an impressive memorial. St. Martin was a kind, comradely soldier, so he's a good choice for a war memorial.

Tom

In Mainz they still have the fund-drive wooden statue for the war wounded full of nails (give a donation, drive in a nail).

Did they steal that idea from the tree on Stefansplatz in Vienna. Sounds very similar... Andy

Andy,

I know there was the famous wooden Hindenburg statue made of wood also, so it seems to have been (more) common.

I think it's cool that it's still there. I saw it a few times before I realized what it was. It looks a bit like an example of new-age art that cities love to put in their centers.

Paul

Actually Paul I am talking about the old piece of tree that is mounted on the side of a building in Stefansplatz. Apparently its been there since the middle ages and everytime a carpenter (or some such) left town he drove a nail into the tree. No one is doing it any more, but you can see whats left of the tree and a whole lot of nails.

Andy

Andy,

Oh, I didn't know that. I've been there, but never noticed the old tree. Very interesting.

Paul

Hello!

Yes, as suspected what looks like Elfs is Elsass.  Indeed, the Germans called it Elsaß, or Elsass, or Elsasz (I've seen all three spellings) and that was the name of the state until 1918. 

Paul

Thanks for the clarification............didn't think of that one at all

Yes, vermisst is missing.

I was struck by the form of the monument, it's quite different from anything else I've seen.  There are a lot of names there for (what then) would have been a small village, the same as you see here in the UK.

I'll keep my eyes open, and keep posting.  In every small village, town and city there is a monument.  In Mainz they still have the fund-drive wooden statue for the war wounded full of nails (give a donation, drive in a nail).

Paul

Thanks Paul

I'll look forward to seeing some more of Germany's memorials. It is interesting to see the different forms of commemoration across nations

Four years ago I visited Nordhorn, the hometown of my German great-grandfather Heinrich Unland, who was killed early 1918 in Flanders (Kemmel) and who has no known grave. During my brief stay in Nordhorn I visited the local archive. To my great surprise an employe at the archive showed me a memorial plaque, with the names of local men that were killed in 14-18. My great-grandfather was one of these men. The plaque used to hang on the wall of a building that was demolished late 70's-early 80's. Not knowing what to do with the plaque, it was since then stored between some boxes the basement of the archive. The employe told me the plaque might get a new place in the future, but he didn't have any idea where. Personally I got the feeling the people of Nordhorn wll never see the plaque again.

Let me at least give the names of the men on the plaque:

Vosmann Johann, Reservist

Verwold Gerhard, Gefreiter

Schulte Wilhelm, Vizefeldwebel

Kock Gerh. Joh., Wehrmann

Pörters Bernh. Grenadier

Verwold Arnold, Landwehrmann

Jakobs Johann, Wehrmann

???

Heils Gerhard, Unteroffizier

???

Kesekamp Gerhard, Wehrmann

Berning Gerh. Bernh., Wehrmann

Stroink Fritz Herbert, Vizefeldwebel

Veldboer Gerh. Alb., Werhrmann

Meiners Johann Heinr., Wehrmann

Jecker Johann Heinr., Wehrmann

Rigterink Jan, Gefreiter

Deister Johannes Heinr., Leutnant des R.

Sall Friedr., Unteroffizier

Ackerstaff Johannes Alb., Unteroffizier

Drees Johann, Unteroffizier

Unland Heinr., Gefreiter

Loreij August, Gefreiter

Alferink Hindrik, Gefreiter

Oldekamp Georg, Musketier

At least a way to get their names out in the open again...

regards

Roel

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, it's a still from a movie...

post-5443-1116716231.jpeg

Roel,

I'm saddened and surprised by your account of the memorial in Nordhorn. Is Nordhorn a large town or a village? I would have thought there would be interest in getting the plaque up again.

In Engelstadt (see other thread here) the village just had their memorial restored and repaired with the help of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge.

While taking the photos I posted here an older gentelman came up to me and we had a nice conversation about the memorial and the village. He said he had lived in Engelstadt "only" 50 years, so he was a new-comer. The looking at the names on the memorial he began to point out (the church is the highest point of the village) the houses of the families of the men listed there. I would imagine that most small villages would be the same.

Perhaps if the village contacted VDK they could get some assistance in getting the plaque up again.

I understand you may not have contact with anyone there, it's just an idea.

Paul