Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier killed in 1915

Tom Morgan

A couple of recent events (including Michelle's recent "Remembering Today 1st Dorsets" post) have re-kindled my interest in 3/7283 Pte. Harry Woods (Ist Dorsets.)

As some Pals will know, I did quite a lot of research on this soldier some years ago but came up against a brick wall. Full story here.

It just occured to me that I have never looked up Harry's Medal Index Card and as they are now on-line I just did so. I'm no MIC expert, though. The card is quite basic with a record of entitlement to the BWM and the Victory Medal, with no further notes or annotations.

But as he was killed in action in July, 1915, shouldn't he be entitled to the 1915 Star? Or even the 1914 Star, as he was member of the 1st Battalion, and might have been out with them in 1914?

Question 1 - am I right about a Star?

Question 2 - I'm sure I've learned here that some soldiers who have star entitlement have two MIC cards. If there are two cards for Harry, would they be listed together in the National Archive website search results? I'm sure I could only see one card listed.

Question 3 - as the MIC has no complicated additions written on, is it a safe assumption that the medals were sent to a given address and duly received without any problem?

Any advice on these questions gratefully received.

Tom

Tom

Get your specs out, polish them and have another look :blink: . Both MICs are listed one after the other if searched on Reg number 3/7283 . One is for Wood the other is for Woods.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=6

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=6

Andy

Any advice on these questions gratefully received.

Tom

I think Max's advice was "You should have went to Specs Savers" :P

Max, Derek - Told you I was no expert. I searched for "Harry Woods" and this must be why I only found one. I didn't know you could search for the number.

Very interesting though, now I've seen the second card. I see that Harry had been on Active Service for less than 8 weeks when he was killed - something I didn't know.

Thanks for the expertise, Pals.

Tom

Tom,

Analysis of enlistment dates on the War Badge Roll would indicate that Harry Woods enlisted into the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion, The Dorsetshire Regiment on or around the 23rd May 1914. He would initially have been based at the Depot in Dorchester whilst undergoing his basic training, and probably moved with them to Wyke Regis before being posted on active service to the 1st Bn.

As you know he arrived in France on the 13th May 1915. Allowing a week to get to his unit he would have only been with the Bn for some 46 days.

At the time of his enlistment Ernest Shepherd was a Cpl Instructor attached to the 3rd Bn, until he was promoted to Sgt on recruitment duties on 8th August 1914. Ernest rejoined the 1st Bn on 26th January 1915. It is therefore very likely that Ernest and Harry knew each other before meeting up again in the firing line.

I will check the 1st Bn war diary and see what their movements were around the time of Harry's joining to get an idea of how much 'action' he actually saw before meeting his much publicised demise.

Steve