Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7 amb RAMC??

Guest armycommando

Guest armycommando

hello i`m hoping somebody out there may be able to help me. I`m trying to find out if there was an RAMC 2/7 amb unit, my relative that i`m trying to research for my grandad was serving from the outbreak of the war and on his medal list he has the 1914 star with bar but i cant seam to track any evidence of his unit as it appears on the same document?? If any one has any ideas or can help in any way then i would be grateful, thanks Matt.

Look above your logged in 'name' - you'll see the'Long Long Trail' - host of into on units there? Maybe help you through?

Best wishes Des

He could not have a 1914 star with bar as far as I know .. that was a 'campaign medal'??

Edited by Desmond7

Hi,

I have had the same problem myself, my grandfather was in the RAMC and earned the 1914 star. However it is extremely difficult to track where he served. Alot of RAMC units were split up at the outbreak of war and were despatched to France with other units i.e. my grandfather travelled with the 2Bn Grenadier Guards, which was attached to the 2nd Division. It does tend to get a bit confusing sometimes and it is very difficult to plot exactly where he may have served.

Unfortunately the RAMC units were very lax at keeping war diaries.

There are some very interesting letters available on the web written by a guy called Harry Chapin, he served with 6 FA RAMC until he was killed at Loos 1915. They give a wonderful insight into the daily life of a RAMC man in the FA.

If you put Harry Chapin into Google you should be able to find it.

Good Luck

Rod

Rod

Alot of RAMC units were split up at the outbreak of war and were despatched to France with other units i.e. my grandfather travelled with the 2Bn Grenadier Guards, which was attached to the 2nd Division

I doubt that RAMC were ant worse or better than many other units in those crazy days. Some units maintained good WDs, some were (are) a waste of paper. However, very few units recorded the attachments and detachments of individual soldiers by name (officers tended to be recorded individually and by name) - they may offer nothing better than " X X attached to Y Y".

But, as one of the roles of RAMC is/was to reinforce/augment/replace forward medical units, it'd be reasonable to assume that your man started off with the field ambulance affiliated, for support, to 2nd Grenadier Guards' brigade, in this instance, 4th Brigade, supported by 4 Field Ambulance.

Hpe that makes sense?

Chris

:blink:

ArmyCommando

I`m trying to find out if there was an RAMC 2/7 amb unit,

Look at the following link:

http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Can see ne reference to a 2/7 Field Ambulance, but there are several 2/1. Was the original document your information was extracted from typed or manuscript? If the latter, it might be possible an early 20th century '1' has been mis-read. If that's the case, Grandad's domicile might give a clue as to whether he was with a London or Midlands field ambulance.

That same reference will give you a good lead as to probable battles and locations.

Chris

:huh: