Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Raid on Zeebrugge - 23rd April 1918

Medic7922

Recently I had to go to a church outside of Bristol, were I found the grave of a RMLI marine who died of wounds he received during The Raid on Zeebrugge - 23rd April 1918, it was not a usual war grave but a cross which was probably erected by hes wife.

Was this a common practise and would it be known by the War Graves Commission, unfortunatly I did not have time to take the mans details but would get it if any one was intrested.

Hello

I would be very interested in details on the stone.

The date of his death may give the answer you are seeking.

All best

don

Casualties who died within the geographical theatre of operations, and this was very broad, ie France and Flanders all constitiuted one theatre for those purposes, were buried within that theatre either in a cemetery close to the front line, ADS, CCs base hospital whatever where they died. But casualties who died after being returned to a UK hospital, or within the UK were returmed to next of kin / family for burial. Undoubtedly your marine died of wounds received at Zeebrugge once back in the Uk. Family could choose wether to have a private burial with their own headstone or an IWGC burial with a standard type IWGC headstone providing they signed the plot and upkeep over to the IWGC now CWGC. In a local churchyard at Erdington Birmingham ( see my article on Tom Morgans Hellfire Corner) there is a private burial of a casualty of the later stages of the Battle of the Somme, " Here lies one of Britains heroes" is the inscription also stating he died of wounds received at the Battle of the Somme. So some casualties have remained under private headstones although the CWGC probably does know of it.

The fact that this grave has a private marker has no relavence to its status as a war grave.

Unlike burials overseas, the bodies of servicemen who died in their home countries could be buried wherever the next-of-kin chose and they could elect to have a private grave or one with a CWGC headstone.

Approx. 20% of all war graves in the UK have private headstones - many now in disrepair. CWGC is not responsible for the upkeep of these private war graves but will step in if possible once they need repair and try to rectify the situation - if they are permitted to do so as the legal ramifications can be complex.

Whether a grave has a private headstone or a CWGC stone does not affect its status as an official war grave and the details will be recorded by CWGC in their database with no indication to the public of what type of stone the grave has. Your man will be listed by CWGC and his grave will be regularly inspected just the same as if it had a CWGC stone.

Which churchyard is the grave in?

Here's another private grave for the raid.

If he was killed in action as stated on the stone, why did they return his body to the UK? I initially thought it was a memorial rather than a grave but the CWGC lists him there at Herne Bay.

Mick

post-174-1116422898.jpg

If he was killed in action as stated on the stone, why did they return his body to the UK? I initially thought it was a memorial rather than a grave but the CWGC lists him there at Herne Bay

The nature of the raid on Zeebrugge needs to be taken into account. Many of the casualties were killed whilst still on deck or fell from the mole. Consequently their bodies along with the wounded were carried onboard ship back to the UK.

There is a private grave for Cpl. Richard Neate RMLI kia on HMS Vindictive in St. Andrews Churchyard at Castle Combe, Wilts.

Dave

The nature of the raid on Zeebrugge needs to be taken into account. Many of the casualties were killed whilst still on deck or fell from the mole. Consequently their bodies were carried onboard ship back to the UK.

There is a private grave for Cpl. Richard Neate RMLI in St. Andrews Churchyard at Castle Combe, Wilts.

Dave

Hi Dave, I have no details of this Marine but he is buried in St Barnabas Churchyard Warmley near Bristol.

Steve

Steve

PLY/15036 Private Alfred James HARVEY

RMLI died on 28 June 1918

He is commemorated on the north face of the Warmley War Memorial. The memorial is a tall concrete obelisk surmounted by a ball and cross and set on an octagonal plinth standing on a triple square plinth. The memorial is in a small memorial garden at the junction of the A420 and Stanley Road. Warmley.

Dave

As Dave says, many men who died at Zeebrugge were aboard ships and were returned home or their bodies were retrieved by the returning British ships. Also, some were left behind and are buried in Belgium.

Here is Pte Harvey's CWGC entry

Name: HARVEY, ALBERT

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: Plymouth Div.

Date of Death: 28/06/1918

Service No: PLY/15306

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S.W. E. 16.

Cemetery: WARMLEY (ST. BARNABAS) CHURCHYARD

Warmley War Memorial mid 1920s.

PALS

Warmley is just down the hill from where I live it is still a very holowed site but looks very different.I wonder if anybody knows what happened to the field gun in the picture ??Does anybody know its story.??

Cheers.

JOHN. :D

• 8 months later...
Recently I had to go to a church outside of Bristol, were I found the grave of a RMLI marine who died of wounds he received during The Raid on Zeebrugge - 23rd April 1918, it was not a usual war grave but a cross which was probably erected by hes wife.

Was this a common practise and would it be known by the War Graves Commission, unfortunatly I did not have time to take the mans details but would get it if any one was intrested.

hi, new to the forum. a relative of mine was in the rmli and died on the raid on zeebrugge so i am therefore interested and will pass the information on to a colleague of mine.......regards.......dave.............oh forgot to ask for the name if thats possible