Remembered Today:

In Rememberance

Jean

Remembering:

Lt. George Munro Ross, Army Cyclist Corps attd Northumberland Fusiliers

9424 Pte James Cardno, X Corps Cyclist Bn

10007 Pte Thomas Craig, 32nd Div Cyclist Company

9981 Pte Frederick Edward Heslop, X Corps Cyclist Bn

All remain where they fell, on the 1st July 1916, and are honoured on the Thiepval Memorial.

Remembering all the men from the Towns and Villages of Ayrshire, who fell on the 1st July 1916.

While doing my research they are in my thoughts every day.

Not now but in coming years

It may be in the better lands

We'll read the meaning of our tears

And then sometime we'll understand

James Brown

Remembering.

Private Joseph Murphy13201 10/C

15th Service Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

1st Salford Pals.

Killed with his mates at Thiepval, 1. 07. 16

Never forgotten.

Great grandson Ian.

Remembering the 1st Newfoundland Regiment who lost 684 men on July 1, 1916.

With a population of 250,000 people, spread out in small towns and isolated outports, the first day on the Somme forever changed Newfoundland's economic and cultural history.

Garth

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Remembering the lads of the East Surrey Regt who fell on 1 July 1916 kicking a football to the German lines..........

RIP fellas.

Ian

Remembering the 621 officers and o/r's of 11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment who went over the top on 3rd July 1916 and didn't come back.

Always in my thoughts.

Ali

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Also remembering all the German soldiers who lost their lives during this Battle.

'Enemies in life, brothers in death'

Ian :ph34r:

Today I am particularly remembering Private Arthur Baker of the 6 West Kents who was missing in action and presumed to have been killed today (3 July) in the renewed attack at Ovillers/La Boiselle.

I believe Arthur to be the first of many Somme casualties from my small village (as it was then), Rainham (Kent). He was one of nearly 400 casualties sustained by his battalion in the fighting on this day, 87 years ago.

A tram driver in civilian life, he left a widow and 5 young children for which his wife received a war widow's pension of 24/6 a week. Doesnt sound much to me.

RIP Arthur.

Remembering the 1,005 men from the 28th Reserve Division who died on 1 July 1916. (530 men from the 109th RIR, 220 men from the 110th RIR, 255 men from the 111th RIR).

Ralph

Garth

I have walked Beaumont Hammel....

Brave men...

John

I'll echo these sentiments.

I would also like to spare a moment to remember all those who gave their lives during the battle of the Somme in 1916

James,

I liked the poem . Where is it from ?

Yes, of course we should remember the brave men , but perhaps the real heroes were those who were not remotely brave but went over the top anyway with the support of their mates - but then again perhaps that is the real definition of bravery.

I just know that on 1st July this year, I watched the sunrise from the Thiepval Memorial , saw the night creatures depart from there and thanked the Gods of Fate and Time that I had missed that day in 1916 by a mere 87 years - only one lifetime

- for those lucky enough to be granted one.

We will Remember Them.