Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early Casualty

priv

Pals,

I have just stumbled across a BWM to a Highlander who was KIA on 14th Sept 1914 - having landed on 14 Aug 1914. From the date of death I have been able to deduce that he was killed at the Battle of the Aisne.

I understand that the first Ypres was where the Old Cotemptibles where ultimately battered beyond pre-war recognition. What I am trying to deduce is how early a casualty this man was.

Many thanks

James

P.S. I only paid £ 19 for it from a coin dealer !

Would your man be 1st Bn. Black Watch Royal Highlanders by chance?

If so I should send you some research I have on Lieut. Boyd who in command of a small group of men of the 1st Bn. RH, who held off repeated attacks on this day unitl over-run. 'My' officer was fatally wounded in this action. Your man may have been with him on this day?

The research reads in part:

'...Fatally wounded on the morning of 14 September 1914, his birthday, during the early days of the battle of the Aisne. In the early morning of 14 September which was misty, his battalion was acting in concert with the Cameron Hldrs. on the banks of the Aisne and found themselves opposed to a strong force of the Germans, and came under a very severe fire. Lt Boyd with his platoon had been directed to take up a position, and it had been indicated to him that it must be held at all costs. He personally fired 10 rounds at the Germans with his rifle and emptied his revolver. He was standing up and had drawn his Claymore, in turning to his side to give a signal to those of his men who survived he was hit. The bullet hit the scabbard of his Claymore, glanced off it and entered his left hip and lodged in the bladder....'

(He died on October 12, 1914 of these wounds)

Pals,

I have just stumbled across a BWM to a Highlander who was KIA on 14th Sept 1914 - having landed on 14 Aug 1914. From the date of death I have been able to deduce that he was killed at the Battle of the Aisne.

I understand that the first Ypres was where the Old Cotemptibles where ultimately battered beyond pre-war recognition. What I am trying to deduce is how early a casualty this man was.

Many thanks

James

P.S. I only paid £ 19 for it from a coin dealer !

My greatuncle was with the 3rd Batt Coldstream Guards he arrived in france in August and died of wounds at the Battle of the Marne at an action called the "Crossing of the Petite Moran" on the 9th September 1914

What I am trying to deduce is how early a casualty this man was.

If I understand your question correctly, then, yes, he was an early(ish) casualty, but many went before him. The first (british) casualty due to enemy action in F&F took place on 21st August, so yours happened when the British parts in the fights were only a few weeks old. However, in these few weeks the BEF had taken part in The battle of Mons, the action at Elouges, Rearguard action at Solesmes, the affair of Landrecies, Battle of Le Cateau, Rearguard at Le Grand Fayt, Rearguard at Etreaux, the affair of Cerizy, the affair of Nery, the rearguard at Crepy en Vaois, rearguard at Villers Cotterets and the Battle of the Marne, amongst others. ...and all that's before they took part in the battle of the Aisne in which your man died.

If I recall correctly (and off the top of my head), I think the BEF had suffered some 36,000 casualties by the end of September.

Dave.

Dave's hit it on the head there. A good account of the regular Army's demise may be found in David Ascoli's book called The Mons Star: The British Expeditionary Force 5th August - 22nd November 1914. Numerous copies at reasonable prices can be found through listed second hand book dealers in Abebooks.

Curious to know the Scottish battalion to which your man belongs. From my research I can see several highlander battalions that participated in the Battle of Aisne between 12-15 September 1914.

Chris

Hi James,

If he was 1st Black Watch let me know and I should be able to send you copies of the War Diary. If he was from Fife, Dundee or the Perth area post his name and I'll see if I have, or have details of a photograph.

All the best,

Derek

James,

If he was BW here's some information from the regimental magazine - Red Hackle - c.1921, concerning the battalion's arrival in France.

13 August 1914

11.15 Battalion entrained in 2 trains at FARNBOROUGH for SOUTHAMPTON, detrained 14.00 and embarked complete on S.S. ‘ITALIAN PRINCE’. Sailed 21.00. Strength – 21 Offcers and 1031 O.R.

14 August 1914

Arrived 12.00, but only disembarked about 18.00 at LE HAVRE and marched to camp above HARFLEUR. Very hot.

Cheers,

Derek

Dear All,

Many thanks for your answers - as ever they are most informative. I purchased this medal because o the man's surname (Campbell) and the fact that it was in mint condition. I ommitted in my frst post the most important point !! He was a Cameron Highlander, I understand from the LLT that they were in the 1st (Guards) Brigade. What also intrigued me was that as a low number (therefore probable pre-war) with a name like Campbell he was not in the BW or even the Argyll's.... ?

I will get on the hunt for Ascoli's book - I have heard reference to it before, and it appears it is a must to go for my collection.

Thank you very much again one andall

James