Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Soldiers

Boreenatra

Hi Steve,

Do you know where they were located?

Robbie

And another of the boys being "entertained" (well thats what the caption says!!) by the nurses at Drury Falls Hornchurch. Regards Steve.

Grey Towers Hornchurch. Here's another of the Blue Boys.

My brother used to live at Greytowers Road Hornchurch. Was there a large house there ?

Patrick

Grey Towers no longer exists, there being allotments and houses built there along with Local Council Offices including the local Registry Office set in wonderful grounds called Langtons, although even it's future may be in doubt. Grey Towers Avenue and Grey Towers Gdns still exist but are just residential streets. I can check it out for you if you like. Here's a pic of what Grey Towers looked like during WW1 Regards Steve.

Thanks Steve,

thats fine as it is. I was just interested but dont want to waste any more of your time. As it happens I do know Hornchurch and working in Upminster I can see St Andrews from my office window

Patrick

I went over to St. Andrews the other day and a lot of the churchyard was overgrown with the undergrowth pretty dense, however I found this pic of the owner of Grey Towers memorial.Regards Steve.

If anyone knows Hornchurch and what a small village it was in WW1 here's a great pic of the New Zealand Blue Boys on Church Hill after a march.

Here's a Panorama pic of New Zealanders and staff at Hornchurch July 1917. I'll post it in two parts. Regards Steve.

Thank you for the photographs. My father spent time recovering at Hornchurch. He was hit in the shoulder with shrapnel. He returned to active duty and survived the war, but would never allow anyone to see his wound.

Robert

Robert. Thanks for the reply. I have some other stuff about Hornchurch and will post some more if time permits. Regards Steve.

Hi,

Silly question, but you dont learn if you dont ask.....Why do you refer to the New Zealanders as "Blue Boys" There uniform was the normal olive, and the ribbon on the lemon sqeezer hat is red............ Just curious.

cheers Aaron.

Steve

Nice pictures. What publication do they come from?

Paul

Hi,

Silly question, but you dont learn if you dont ask.....Why do you refer to the New Zealanders as "Blue Boys" There uniform was the normal olive, and the ribbon on the lemon sqeezer hat is red............ Just curious.

cheers Aaron.

Aaron are you sure you are from New Zealand?

The clothing they are wearing is called "Hospital Blues" consisting blue serge jacket with white lapels, blue serge trousers, white shirt and red tie.

A puggaree was worn on the lemon sqeezer hat or smasher hat, not a ribbon.

Different colours designating corp.

No full red puggaree was worn during the first world war, that is a modern parade puggaree.

Very nice pictures by the way.

Cheers Jonathan ;)

Hi Paul They come from a book about Hornchurch in the Great War,which was published in 1920. Regards Steve.

Jonathon,

Im most def a New Zealander, and like I said you dont learn if you dont ask, so thanks very much for your informative answer. Thats why I log on to this site so I can learn. Up until now I had never heard of the word ....puggaree :huh:

cheers Aaron. :)