Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service with the Lovats Scouts.

Duncan

I recently bought a Victory Medal to a Pte S/26545 Robert Moore, 1st Camerons, later S/40647 7th and 6th Gordons. There was a note to say that he also formerly served at Pte 5458 2/2nd Lovats Scouts. However, there’s no mention of the Lovats Scouts on his MIC or medal roll and his service file is missing. Does anyone know where the previous owner could have got this information from?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Possibly another Medal Index Card to him with full name or just initial,try searching using just the number? ;)

Hi Duncan,

The info could possibly of came from a local roll of honour. The 2/2nd Lovat Scouts formed in 1914, and remained in UK. They then converted into a cyclist unit in July 1916.

MICs show medal entitlement and so unless a soldier went abroad he won't have one. 2/2nd Lovat Scouts were home based only so know MIC for that unit. This is my basic understanding, but I am quite happy to be corrected by more informed members of the forum!

It would seem that the 2/2nd Lovat Scouts was the battalion that Robert Moore first enlisted into before transferring to the unit in which he first served abroad. You quite often get enlistment info from a roll of honour.

Stuart

Hi, thanks to you both for the information.

I tried the 'second MIC' approach, but came back negative.

I think the Lovat's Scouts information must have come from some roll or newspaper. Unfortunately I don't know where the bloke came from so can't check any local souces.

Thanks once again,

Duncan.