Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/23rd London War Diary

westkent78

I now have copies of the 1/23rd War Diary from May 1915 to end of September 1916 and am willing to do look ups.

For part of 1915 the adjutant was fairly scrupulous in actually naming casualties when there were only a few at a time.

Matthew

Hi Mathew,

could you tell me what the battalion was up to at the end of May 1916 and when they left the Souchez area please.

Regards

John

Hi Mathew,

could you tell me what the battalion was up to at the end of May 1916 and when they left the Souchez area please.

Regards

John

Hello John,

They left the Souchez area on 7th-8th May. Here are the entries:

6th: A coy frontline, B & C in Quarries, D coy in reserve.

7th: 11 p.m. Bn relieved by 7th Bn. L.R. (I assume London Regiment) and marched to Villers au Bois.

8th: 2 p.m. Marched to Verdrel and billeted.

They moved back to Villers au Bois on the 14th and on 21st moved up to the Maistre Line. They stayed in support around Carency moving up the Maistre line and Carency Rouge/Road to support 24th & 21st Bns as carriers.

On the 26th they retired to Villers au Bois and then to Ourton arriving at 8 p.m. marching past the corps commander en route.

27th: Cleaning up, rifles inspected & all deficiencies indented for.

Total casualties period 21-26 May 1916 5 killed, 1 missing, 25 wounded.

28th: 10:30 a. m. Parade service.

28th: 2:40 p.m. Inspection & address by G.O.C. 1st Army.

28th: Draft of 32 men arrived, also draft of 40 men of 2/3rd Bn L.R. (R.F.) 9 Officers joined 29th.

29th: 9 a.m. Bombing, Signalling, Coy. Training in close order drill, bayonet fighting etc.

30th: 9 a.m. Training as previous day. Draft of 24 men arrived.

31st: 1 officer reported. Training under coy arrangements. A coy on range.

31st: 8-10 p.m. Night work for D coy.

They basically remained at Ourton undergoing similar training until 13th June when they moved to Bouvigny Woods.

If you want the exact entries for 21st - 26th please let me know and I'll transcribe them here for you.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Matthew

I now have copies of the 1/23rd War Diary from May 1915 to end of September 1916 and am willing to do look ups.

For part of 1915 the adjutant was fairly scrupulous in actually naming casualties when there were only a few at a time.

Matthew

Matthew,

could you see if there are any references to Second Lieutenant A.P. Clarke, died of wounds 24/7/15.

Mnay thanks,

Steve

Matthew,

could you see if there are any references to Second Lieutenant A.P. Clarke, died of wounds 24/7/15.

Mnay thanks,

Steve

Steve,

You're in luck. There are some references.

3rd June: 2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke appointed Machine Gun Officer (temporarily)

17th July: 2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke appointed M.G.O. in absence of Lt. Clinton.

21st July: Working party of 3 Officers, 100 men (No. 2 Coy). 2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke wounded. Cpl. Phillips (Trench Mortar Battery) accidentally wounded.

24th July: 2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke died of wounds at No. 1 Clearing Hosp: Chocques.

Regards,

Matthew

Steve,

You're in luck. There are some references.

3rd June:  2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke appointed Machine Gun Officer (temporarily)

17th July:   2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke appointed M.G.O. in absence of Lt. Clinton.

21st July:   Working party of 3 Officers, 100 men (No. 2 Coy). 2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke wounded. Cpl. Phillips (Trench Mortar Battery) accidentally wounded.

24th July:  2nd Lt. A.P.Clarke died of wounds at No. 1 Clearing Hosp: Chocques.

Regards,

Matthew

Thanks Matthew, this is really good information for me to add to my research on this officer. I have been doing some digging for Marlborough College on him.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Matthew, this is really good information for me to add to my research on this officer. I have been doing some digging for Marlborough College on him.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

You're welcome.

Would it be possible for you to post some background details on 2nd Lt. Clarke, or pm them to me so I can add them to my 23rd London database?

Thanks,

Matthew

Steve,

You're welcome.

Would it be possible for you to post some background details on 2nd Lt. Clarke, or pm them to me so I can add them to my 23rd London database?

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew,

no problem. I have a photo of him and a picture of his grave in Choques among other things.

Regards, Steve