Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Cameron Highlanders Member

jagjetta

Thanks for the bandwidth....

I have a rather "newbie" type of question ( I really haven't learned how to research UK soldiers...my interest and collecting has been limited to WWI Belgian troops).

I recently aquired a photo signed "Pte. J. W. Buich [burch?] No 14144, B Coy. 7th Cameron Highlanders, British Exp. Force, France."

Is there any way for me to learn more about this specific soldier? I have been reading about the experiences of the 7th Cameron Highlanders and have been very impressed with their record.

Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

John A-G

Iola, Wisconsin USA

Hi John,

Pte. Thomas Walker Buick was one of those killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Loos. Here's the relevant information from the CWGC website. Any chance you could post a copy of the photograph?

Best wishes,

Derek

Name: BUICK, THOMAS WALKER

Initials: T W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: S/14144

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Margaret Buick, of I, Alexandra Mansions, Inverkip St., Greenock, Renfrewshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 119 to 124.

Cemetery: LOOS MEMORIAL

Should have mentioned he was born and enlisted in Greenock.

The 7th Camerons were part of the 15th (Scottish) Division - same Division as the 9th Black Watch.

They lost 209 men on 25 September 1915.

A forum member, Niall Cherry, has recently written a new book on the battle of Loos - 'Most Unfavourable Ground'.

Best wishes,

Derek

Hi John,

I replied to your request in the 'Soldiers' section of the website just in case you missed it.

Cheers,

Derek

WOW! Very fine information, Derek. I will be happy to post a photo. I will scan it today and post it. He is wearing his full kit.

THank you again. Your information is very much appreciated.

All the Best regards,

John Adams-Graf

Iola, Wisconsin

John,

Excellent picture - thank you for posting it.

Below is a similar postcard taken at Parkhouse Camp, Salisbury Plain showing Pte John Scott on the right, no.15835, 7th Bn. Cameron Highlanders who was killed on the Somme in October 1916.

The photographs seem to have been taken at the sametime.

post-172-1116577048.jpg

John,

I don't know if your man is shown on this picture.

This is no.9 Platoon, "C"- coy.

post-172-1116577314.jpg

Derek:

That is an outstanding image as well! You are absolutely correct...the fence seems to be the same in both photos. The photographer's negative number on each seems to be in the same hand and rather close in series.

Thank you so much for sharing the image. It is very interesting to see the pair of images together!

John A-G

Iola, Wisconsin USA

Hi John,

Thanks for posting the image.

All the best,

Derek

Hi guys,

I was particularly interested in this thread as my Great-grandfather was one of the following drafts who replaced the heavy casualties at Loos in 1915. A few years back I produced a small book on his part in The Great War and have a number of 7th Battalion photgraphs if you are interested. Fortunately my g/grandad came back, although he hardly spoke of his times in France and Flanders he did pass on some of his memories to his family.

Regards

Camserbat

Sounds like a great project that you put together. I would love to see the book...how can one be obtained? Feel free to email privately, if you wish, at:

militarycollector@gmail.com

Thank you!

John A-G

Iola, Wisconsin