Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th July 1916 'Night Attack' Somme

David_Blanchard

Hello,

I am interested in any books, articles concerned with the battle of Bazentin Ridge particularly the 14th July attack.

Has anyone read the book 'Bazentin Ridge' by Cave and Hancock?

Regards

David

I though the Battleground Europe was actually pretty good. I have read a number of these and I think this was the most informative and readible. I found it especially helpful in reading trench maps. Might also want to check The Hell they Called High Wood by Terry Norman, which although does not focus on the night attack, does cover it as a prelude.

Hello,

I am interested in any books, articles concerned with the battle of Bazentin Ridge particularly the 14th July attack.

Regards

David

Is this the "Battleground Europe" one by Edward Hancock, David? If so it's a popular title. It covers the history of the attack, the preparations, the attack itself, and the continuation of the attack over the following days. I think it's very thoroughly researched. I must admit that my interest is mostly that of a general reader. It will be interesting to see what some of the more informed Pals think of it.

Tom

There's a good account in I L Read's 'Of Those We Loved'; he served with the Leicesters Brigade. I think Tom (above) sells this excellent memoir? Matthew Richardson's 'Tigers' also cover the Leicesters advance.

I am just reading Prior & Wilson's new 'Somme' (Yale Uni Press) which has a whole chapter on this; must say I don't agree with their findings on it, but it was interesting reading.

Hello,

Regards

David

I can't find it on AMazon.

Robbie

It is on amazon. I have just ordered a copy. This is the review:

'The battle of Bazentin Ridge was important for a number of reasons. It was the first night attack allowing British troops to establish a foothold on the strategically important Bazentin Ridge. Second, it allowed the Australian allies to punch a way through the Pozieres Ridge a few miles on the left flank. However, the Somme battle stagnated from this point, and it was to be two months before the Allied line was able to advance further. Overall, this is an excellent book explaining the events which occurred along the Bazentin Ridge between the dates 14th and 20th July 1916. Contains some very good maps and illustrations. At the end of the book is a worthwhile tour guide for first time and regular visitors alike.'

Regards

David

Thanks for all your suggestions.

A friend of mine was very disappointed with the new 'Somme' book by Prior and Wilson, he mentioned the fact that it almost entirely replicates much of the research they did for 'Command on the Western Front'.

Thanks again,

David

David - I would very much agree with that. There are also a number of errors of fact, and a clear lack of geographical knowledge of the ground, which I found annoying. However, an interesting read, even if you don't agree with much of it.

David

I have a few additional sources for you.

Gerald Gliddon, 1998, The Battle of the Somme: A Topographical History. See pp.22-31

Lyn Macdonald, 1993, Somme. See Part 3.

A.H. Farrar-Hockley, 1964, The Somme. See pp.166-168, with other references in Chpt. 4

John Giles, 1986, The Somme Then and Now. See pp.64-65

Robin Prior and Trevor Wilson, 1992, Command on the Western Front: The Military Career of Sir Henry Rawlinson 1914-1918. See Chpt. 19 - Success by night, 14 July - pp. 196-202.

Ray Westlake, British Battalions on the Somme. Good for an overview of battalions involved in the actions.

Hope this assists.

Chris

Re: Prior and Wilson 'Somme'. sounds a lot like their Passchendaele book, then, which while it had interesting points seemed very thin and undeveloped compared to 'Command On the Western Front'.

Don’t overlook the Official History Military Operations France and Belgium 1916 Vol. II which in many respects still contains the best narrative and maps.

I would echo the recommendation of Terry Norman’s The Hell They Called High Wood for the background.

Regards

Simon

You could also look at T. R. Moreman’s ‘The Dawn Assault – Friday 14th July 1916’ which appeared in the Journal of Army Historical Research, Autumn 1993.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Guys for all your help on this enquiry. I will have a quick look at the Terry Norman book now

R.

David

Terry Norman's 'The Hell they called High Wood' covers the battle in detail, and also from the German perspective.

My only quibble is the footnotes are very brief. I would have liked to have known which German sources he consulted.

R.

David