Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Suffolk's

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

With the 2/Suffolk's having a lot of POW taken at Le Cateau in August, does anyone have a list of OR's, I have a trio to a Pte that might be one??

Pte J W Crabb - 2/Suffolk's.

Does it say POW on his MIC? I don't know of any list of men who were POW from this battalion; if you turn one up I would be interested as I have a 14 Trio to a man from this unit whose card states POW.

I have a trio as well, with the POW notation, 6488 Pte.N.Bird, 2/Suffolks

No medals, but this MIC is for my Great-Uncle:

post-6536-1116687366.jpg

Walter Brooksbank, 2nd Suffolks, Capture 26-8-1914 at Le Cateau, prisoner at Doberitz. (Checked to Service Records, originally posted as missing)

Steve.

Guest scott leader

Yes the MIC does state P.O.W, I would say theirs a 90% change that any 2/Suffolk's soldier who is confirmed as POW must be for Le Cateau??

Any idea weather we could find a list on-line??

I have seen at least 3 different line ups of (allegedly) 2nd Suffolks prisoners at Doberitz in the local paper on film at my local library from Mar-Aug 1915 I think. Each has about 20-30 men in it, if I remember rightly, total of about 75 men (?) unless of course they are all the same men!

I didn't take any copies at the time because they didn't have a copy printer available. I will take some copies next time I'm at the library and post them if you want (though the quality may not be up to much)

I would say that if Pte Crabb was taken prisoner at Le Cateau then there is a reasonable possibility that he could have been at Doberitz.

Steve.

Check the Times online. It lists men who are missing presumed dead/PoW etc.

Andy

It does, but it does not tell you when they went missing or were POW.

Paul

You are quite right but if the mans name is listed, say in September 1914, he couldn't have gone missing or become a PoW after this date. It allows one to narrow down the timeframe for an event.

Andy