Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 maps required please

Aaron Nelson

Hi pals.

Looking to see if any of you have a map detailing the following.

Busseboom, in May of 1918, in Particular the location of the 14th French Division.

ALso

Propergrine area particularly around July to August of 1918. Where the 27th American Division was located.

Any info would be gladly received.

Thanks to all.

Aaron.

Dave - You're Welcome.

:lol:

Aaron.

Can you be more specific as regards the 27th (N.Y.N.G.) Div.? I've got Poperinge "covered" as regards maps, but I don't know whereabouts they were until 20th August when they entered the line in the Dikkebus sector between Vierstraat and the North slopes of the Kemmelberg and advancing onto the western slope of the Wijtschaete ridge.

Anyway, here's a map of Poperinge to Busseboom from May 1918. Hopefully it covers the area you require (a larger version is on my website mentioned by Andy - page 2 of the "extracts" section).

Dave.

post-357-1116374053.jpg

Dave,

The map you have provided coverw what I wanted nicely. With regards to the 27th American Division I got my info from an article written by the commader of the 108th Brigade and gives details as follows.

For defensive purposes our division was given a certain sector of the East Poperinghe Line which was a switch line constructed in support of the Scherpenberg-Dickebush system which latter was the main line of defense at that time. Incidentally a portion of it covered a section of the famous Kemmel Hill held by the Hun.

The 2nd battalion had sent two companies into the East Pop. Line on July 19th, occupying the line for several days. On July 23rd, Co. F. had two men killed in action by the explosion of an enemy shell, Corp. Morris Lynchick and Pvt. Grant C. Colton. These were the first casualties which the regiment had experienced in action. After this duty the battalion joined the regiment in the Tilques area on July 25th.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

However I am also looking for info on the positions of 27th and 30th Division in August. Dave I noticed you had some maps of Kemmel and kemmel hill on your wonderful site. I presume those maps show the locations of the two divisions at that time??

cheers Aaron.

I noticed you had some maps of Kemmel and kemmel hill on your wonderful site. I presume those maps show the locations of the two divisions at that time??

Well, not really, no. They do show a small part of the southernmost area held by the 27th Div. though.

Dave.