Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camping on the somme

trenchwalker

hi all

A friend of mine hads just started a intrest in the great war. he had a relative who died in september 1916 outside devils wood . what we are thinking of doing as a the cost over hear for train ticket and camp site t works out i could go to the somme 3 times over.

the fact i can go from lille to ALBERT for £16 return is fantastic.

we are planning spending a week there camping. i know there is albert camp site. but we would like som where else. is there anything wrong with kippin just inside devils the night before. or shefield park. are there any friendly farmers who will let people camp or drop a sleepin bag sumwhere

:huh:

martin

Sorry - you cannot camp in memorial sites, cemeteries or other 'official' battlefield sites. While you might be a good camper, the chances of people camping doing damage to such sites is great - and you should ask yourself is it really appropriate?

Just pitching up by the side of a road, or on other private land might result in a visit from the local police.

If you are that short of funds, then ask a local farmer (in French of course) - but what is wrong with the camp site at Authuille? You have asked about camping a number of times on the forum and several people have pointed you to it?

Martin,

I happened to be talking to a friend earlier this week who regularly camps on the Somme - he invariably camps out at Julie Renshaw's on the edge of Beaumont Hamel and has always received a warm welcome. May be worth trying?

Martin

I echo what Martin has said. It has been some years now, but there was a time when I regularly camped at the Renshaws' house, Les Galets, at Beaumont Hamel. I always got a warm welcome and friendly advice, the latest news, etc. Quite apart from these good features, It's a very atmospheric place, just a few hundred yards from the Sunken Lane and the Hawthorn Ridge Crater.

Tom