Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Engeli Expedition

Andrew Hesketh

I'm doing some research for someone into RM James Wm. Waterfield, 11983 Div Artillery. Amongst other things the following is listed on his log of shps:

"Ramillies 3# 1 Jan 20 - 18 Apr 20 (5. 7.)

Julius ?( Engeli Expdtn??) 3# 19 Apr 20 – 12 Nov 20 (5. 7.)

R M Arty 3# 13 Nov 20 - 31 Dec 20 (5. 7.)"

My correspondent has some belief in this man being involved in a 'secret mission'. He writes, " a RM secret mission over to Russia and only a couple of marines survived or returned from this terrible trip, could this secret mission be logged somewhere"

My guess is that he is referring to the Engeli Expedition noted above, but I can find next to nothing about it, except:

"In April 1920 left H.M.S. Gardenia with the Engeli Expedition (a party of 31 men) in an attempt to reach Engeli (North Persia) via Batoum and Baku, to reorganize the volunteer Fleet on the Caspian Sea. The party arrived in Baku (Azerberzium) the day that state turned Bolshevik, was surrounded by the 11th Red Army and forced to surrender. The whole party, along with a few other Britishers, being confined first at the Checka and then in cells in the Bieloff Prison, on the outskirts of Baku. Exchanged, in November 1920, reaching England December 1920.

W. Wainwright, Everyman at War (1930), edited by C. B. Purdom."

Could anyone please add anything or point me in the direction of recommended reading?

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

You might look for copies of Dobson and Miller's 1986 book The Day We Almost Bombed Moscow [iSBN 0 340 33723 0] and Jackson's 1972 book At War with the Bolsheviks [no ISBN in my copy].

Regards

Gareth

Gareth,

Very quick!! Thanks mate.