Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memoirs of an Infantry Officer

Tim Godden

For those of you that have read this book, how accurate is the experience of George Sherston to that of Sassoon's personal experience?

It strikes me that there are one or two discrepancies with regards to the Sassoon of the poems and the pseudo-Sassoon as represented by Sherston. What do others think?

All the best,

Tim

I love the book. I think, however, it is a good example of writing history without necessarily sticking to the facts ... therefore it is fiction - the truth comes through the story, not the attention to historical detail.

Hi Andy,

Of course, the book is fiction, it could not be interpreted sensibly any other way. I just wonder if the character Sherston does, infact, more closely represent the very abrupt Sassoon of his poetry and of taught history. For example, in regards to Sasson's statement against the war Sherston seems far more timid and unsure than comes across in several histories and portrayals of the 'real' Sassoon.

However, like you, I love this book.

Thanks for your answer.

Cheers,

Tim

Sherston seems far more timid and unsure than comes across in several histories and portrayals of the 'real' Sassoon

Having read them all... Sherston is at least consistent

If each was combined how close would we get to the whole person...

John

Hi John,

That is really my point, does Sherston actually show the Sassoon of reality rather than of, for want of a better word, legend. Or, is Sherston just used as he is a more likeable character?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Tim

Sassoon earned himself the nickname 'Mad Jack'- a name that you'd not really associate with George Sherston. However, I read Jean Moorcroft Wilsons biographies of Sassoon and he just comes across as a very complex, almost self effacing, very intelligent level headed, unassuming man. Sassoon wouldn't describe himself as the ferocious trench fighter that his peers did- he would be far too modest, I think. And thats what we get from the Sherston trilogy- a modest account of Sassoons own history- but in the modesty of the books I think theres a greater 'unwritten' power, becasue we secretly know what he was like, and what he did, perhaps?

Does Sassoon wish he was Sherston or vice versa?

Or do the two make a complete personality?

John

John- I think Sherston and Sasson make the whole man don't you think?

Sassoon doesn't wish he was Sherston- the Sherston books are just a very personal reflection of a modest man trying to tell us what the war experience was like for him. Don't forget that part of the original Memoirs draft turns up almost word for word in Dr Dunns The War The Infantry Knew as blatant autobiography too!

• Admin

Tim

I recommend that you read Dr Jean Moorcroft Wilsons books on Sassoon, The Making of a War Poet and The Journey From the Trenches for a understanding of this complex man.

Regards, Michelle

Thanks to every one who has posted.

Michelle - I have read both the books you suggested, I found them very interesting. It just seems to me that Sassoon was a highly confused person and I have often wondered how much of his 'personality' was true. But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Cheers,

Tim

Sassoon's published diaries which run from 1914 to 1925 give a true picture of the man and are three of my most-valued books.

I also feel the quality of his prose is better than some of his poetry.

Rosemary

I would add to that the biographical Old Century and Seven more years, dealing with his childhood, The Wield of Youth (self-explanatory) and Siegfried's Journey which describes his early post-war years, including his involvement with the 'literary circle' of the time.

All wonderful reading.

Rosemary